Hack: Wheeled Fermentor DOLLY at Harbor Freight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is McGyver's first name ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Passito

Reaction score
Here's a neat trick i use because im old and dont like lifting heavy fermentors just to move them around so i found these at Harbor Freight tool store for $8 its perfect sized and they work great for big mouth bubblers and regular better-bottle brand fermenters also. Very heavy duty wheels solid construction, and they keep the bottoms of fermys clean and up off the floor. im thrilled i can just push them around so i wanted to share the brew hack with y'all. One could also mcgyver some wooden sides on it with a couple screws and predrilled holes, making it more like a wagon or adding a carpet square in the center. Lmk if u like or decide to use this tip.

This diy project started with me building dollies from scratch. Believe me you cannot buy 4 large caster wheels like these for $2 each even in bulk ok. I spent far more $ and time trying to build my own units that did not turn out as good as these ready made ones.

Attachments

• 15180323368401843970292.jpg
    15180323368401843970292.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 571
  • 20180206_132451.jpg
    20180206_132451.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 516
Thanks for sharing. I've been planing to make one of these for a while now but there's no way I could for this cheap.

You bought a dolly and you are acting like it’s a “hack” or I DIY project? I think you are getting a little too excited. This is not a “neat trick.” You didn’t invent the wheel here buddy. Moving heavy things around more easily is what dollies are made for.

Do you have any neat tricks for getting that thing home from the store? Wait, I’ve got it! Load it in the back of a car! ....I’m McGuiver y’all!

You bought a dolly and you are acting like it’s a “hack” or I DIY project? I think you are getting a little too excited. This is not a “neat trick.” You didn’t invent the wheel here buddy. Moving heavy things around more easily is what dollies are made for.

Do you have any neat tricks for getting that thing home from the store? Wait, I’ve got it! Load it in the back of a car! ....I’m McGuiver y’all!

What's even more interesting is your need to revive a 6 month thread just to impose your irrelevant opinion....

Smells like troll sh*t...

It'll double your cost, but a 1/2 sheet baking sheet from a restaurant supply would fit perfectly on one of those and catch anything that escapes the airlock. I have full sheet ones for under my conicals and actually considered getting some of the full size dollies. You'd just need to add some support in the middle

Here's a neat trick i use because im old and dont like lifting heavy fermentors just to move them around so i found these at Harbor Freight tool store for $8 its perfect sized and they work great for big mouth bubblers and regular better-bottle brand fermenters also. Very heavy duty wheels solid construction, and they keep the bottoms of fermys clean and up off the floor. im thrilled i can just push them around so i wanted to share the brew hack with y'all. One could also mcgyver some wooden sides on it with a couple screws and predrilled holes, making it more like a wagon or adding a carpet square in the center. Lmk if u like or decide to use this tip.

This diy project started with me building dollies from scratch. Believe me you cannot buy 4 large caster wheels like these for $2 each even in bulk ok. I spent far more $ and time trying to build my own units that did not turn out as good as these ready made ones.

Thanks for sharing. Simple and cheap item repurposed for a higher use. New ideas are always welcome. I've torn two rotator cuffs. One beyond repair. I built a couple of rolling work benches to help move the fermentors to the fermentation rack.

The best things about the HF wooden dolly are the heavy duty casters. You can remove the casters and throw the wood in the fireplace and still be money ahead.

For moving kettles and fermenters, I lay an old plywood kitchen cabinet door across the padded bolsters. Po' folks got po' ways, we say around here.

Back