H2S and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garguy

Reaction score
I have a Double IPA that is about 6 days into fermentation which is gassing quite a bit of sulfur as a byproduct (Used White Labs California V Yeast).

After lots of research on this forum, there seems to be a split consensus on whether or not this is a problem or anything to be alarmed of. The general concern is that it takes a bit longer in secondary for the sulfur stench to subside or mellow out of the beer.

I plan on racking it over to the secondary after another week or so, at which point I will be dry hopping with 1 oz of El Dorado and 2 oz of Huell Melon. One thing I am considering, and don't really know if it would really do any good or harm, is purging the head space in the primary carboy with CO2 to eliminate any leftover H2S from sitting on the beer for an extended period of time and imparting unwanted flavors on the beer.

What do you guys think? Leave it alone and let it do it's thing, or purge with CO2?

I've never noticed a Sulphur output from any of the Cal Ale strains, usually only lager and hybrid yeasts produce Sulphur compounds.

I have had an aroma similar to Sulphur from older hops, that could be what you are smelling.

I'm sure that you've seen the debates on secondary... I've only racked into a secondary if I'm adding fruit, sugar or oak chips. If you are not planning on reusing the yeast, I would just add the dry hops directly to the fermenter. *note* I just did this for my RIIPA today. Popped the fermenter open purged the hops with CO2, added them and purged the headspace. I'll cold crash in 5 days and rack into a keg in 7 days.

Latest posts

Back