Gypsy Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilboBrewin

Reaction score
My friend has been pushing me to brew on his system and I have good reason to at least try. I live in an apartment building with no outdoor area to brew in and my electric stove struggles to bring anything more than two gallons to a boil, so I have primarily used the counter-top partial mash method. My friend has invested quite a bit of money into a computer-controlled all-grain system capable of holding temperatures to within .1 degree, boiling 8 gallons down to 5 (in 90 minutes), uses a recirculating mash, and can chill wort to pitching temperature within 20 minutes. Long story short, quite a bit more capable than my stove.

My plan is to brew on his system, transfer to primary, then drive home and pitch the yeast. I have a few questions though:

1. Has anybody else brewed using a friend's equipment? Were there any unexpected problems?

2. I am going to use dry yeast. I am debating whether to drive home and pitch dry (easiest), rehydrate while at his place then drive home and pitch (hardest), or to drive home and rehydrate at my place then pitch (longest). I am guessing I should not pitch at his place as oxygen will be added during my drive home. Thoughts on which approach I should take?

As always, thanks for any feedback. Cheers :mug:

I'd bring it home, rehydrate the yeast and pitch. Make sure the temp of the wort and rehydrated yeast are similar temps and at the low end of the yeast's recommended temp range if you can. Also, get as much oxygen into the wort as you can before pitching (I use an air pump) but you can vigorously shake, stir, etc.

My friend has been pushing me to brew on his system and I have good reason to at least try. I live in an apartment building with no outdoor area to brew in and my electric stove struggles to bring anything more than two gallons to a boil, so I have primarily used the counter-top partial mash method. My friend has invested quite a bit of money into a computer-controlled all-grain system capable of holding temperatures to within .1 degree, boiling 8 gallons down to 5 (in 90 minutes), uses a recirculating mash, and can chill wort to pitching temperature within 20 minutes. Long story short, quite a bit more capable than my stove.

My plan is to brew on his system, transfer to primary, then drive home and pitch the yeast. I have a few questions though:

1. Has anybody else brewed using a friend's equipment? Were there any unexpected problems?

2. I am going to use dry yeast. I am debating whether to drive home and pitch dry (easiest), rehydrate while at his place then drive home and pitch (hardest), or to drive home and rehydrate at my place then pitch (longest). I am guessing I should not pitch at his place as oxygen will be added during my drive home. Thoughts on which approach I should take?

As always, thanks for any feedback. Cheers :mug:

First question - never brewed anywhere but my driveway and my kitchen. Sorry.

Second question - any of your stated plans would be fine assuming your sanitation is good. Generally people like to rehydrate as it significantly increases cell count (or rather not rehydrating significantly reduces cell count). If I were you, I would rehydrate and pitch at your friend's house. No need to worry about oxidation in the first hour.

Back