Gypsum? Irish Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
I have not brewed in about 8 years, but I'm planning to light the burner tomorrow. This past week, I was going through all of my brewing equipment that I just got returned to me, taking an inventory of what's there and what I need to buy and/or refurbish (such all of the hoses). Anyway, I came across some Irish Moss, which I threw out because it was nearly a decade old, and a container of gypsum. I remember that the Irish Moss is used for clarity (right?), but I cannot remember when to toss that in. Likewise, I cannot remember what the gypsum was used for at all, as well as when to add that. Does that have anything to do with hard or soft water? Previously, I brewed with water from a house in Ohio that had a water softener. Now, I'm in Miami, FL where we don't use a water softener except on the boat, and I'm brewing at a friend's house since the boat moves too much. This time, I'm planning to use bottled water when adding it to my wort in the primary (I'm an extract brewer). I just can't remember why I had gypsum.

I'm pretty sure I've resurrected the memory for the rest of the process and the ingredients. Can someone enlighten/remind me about the use of Irish Moss and gypsum? Thanks.

Ang

I use Irish moss at the last 15 min of the boil, 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons, for clarity and works for me. I've never used gypsum myself, but I think you are right it adjusts your water profile. Welcome back to brewing!

Thanks. It's good to be back.

I'm off to the one and only homebrew supply store in the Miami area. I hope it is a decent supply store. Brewing is a little more difficult down here due to the heat, and it's definitely less popular. I sure hope I don't have mail order supplies as that will mess up my plans for having a brew day tomorrow.

Back