Gunna back sweeten my Blueberry Muffin Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flexmedia

Reaction score
This mead has stopped fermenting but I will take one more final reading and have the wife taste it again. She tasted it last month and wants it sweeter. How do I add the honey? If I just pour it in, it will sit at the bottom. I’ve been told I shouldn’t stir or shake it. Should I add honey to a portion of the mead then pour it in?

Thanks!
Art

So, your mead is done fermenting, I'm assuming you've cold crashed it? The next step is to stabilize it. Usually this is done with meta-bisulfate. Once stabilized, you can backsweeten without concern about setting off another round of fermentation.

There is a lot of sciency math involved that frankly I am not savvy with (I prefer dry mead), but here's a calculator that might be useful.

https://winemakermag.com/resource/1301-sulfite-calculator

So, your mead is done fermenting, I'm assuming you've cold crashed it? The next step is to stabilize it. Usually this is done with meta-bisulfate. Once stabilized, you can backsweeten without concern about setting off another round of fermentation.

There is a lot of sciency math involved that frankly I am not savvy with (I prefer dry mead), but here's a calculator that might be useful.

https://winemakermag.com/resource/1301-sulfite-calculator
Humm.. another thing I’ll have to study. I do have a stabilizer I plan to use. I don’t know the best way to add the honey to the carboy. I’ve backsweetened once before but I added the honey and stirred it to keep it off the bottom. Guess I wasn’t supposed to do that? 😉

Ahh. Once you've stabilized the mead, as long as you're not too vigorous, you can stir the honey in. Not sure how you are setup, but if you have a keg, you can add the honey and mead to a keg, purge it with co2 and then shake the heck out of it. (There's little o2 left once you purge the keg, so no risk of oxidation).

Ahh. Once you've stabilized the mead, as long as you're not too vigorous, you can stir the honey in. Not sure how you are setup, but if you have a keg, you can add the honey and mead to a keg, purge it with co2 and then shake the heck out of it. (There's little o2 left once you purge the keg, so no risk of oxidation).
Just a one gallon test jug. Trying to pick our favorite. I’ll stir it in gently. My wife just can’t develop your same taste for dry wine. Thanks for the tip!

Art

Back