Guiness!!!...wtf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rcb said:
Guinness is an excellent beer, tops in my book other than my own! Hundreds of years of successful production is proof of that. If you feel that it has no flavor then your probably spending to much time trying to be a beer snob than enjoying the smooth texture and robust flavor it has. The brewers of Guinness are also responsible for Harp Lager and Smithwick's. Both of which are delicious.

ALRIGHT!! LISTEN HERE BUDDY;)

But seriously, I would have been much happier if I had enjoyed it believe me. If you had read the rest of the thread, you would have seen that what I drank was a watered down crapola version of what they have been brewing for hundreds of years.

I am a fan of smithwick's, thanks for the info.

And if not being a sheep makes me a beer snob, then let the snobbery commence!

Take it easy guys. ;) Taste is very subjective. I enjoy a Guiness on occasion and think it's a wonderful beer. To call someone an idiot because they claim to like Guiness or any other ''popular style'' is a little harsh in my opinion.

One of the best beers I've ever tasted was an ice cold long neck Budweiser at Tootsies Orchid Lounge in Nashville. It was a hot, humid summer day and it hit the spot. Right beer for the occasion, anything else would have seemed out of place.

Cheers, :mug:

cheezydemon said:
ALRIGHT!! LISTEN HERE BUDDY;)

But seriously, I would have been much happier if I had enjoyed it believe me. If you had read the rest of the thread, you would have seen that what I drank was a watered down crapola version of what they have been brewing for hundreds of years.

I am a fan of smithwick's, thanks for the info.

And if not being a sheep makes me a beer snob, then let the snobbery commence!
I think you need a PBR Chill pill...:D

Seriously, I also didn't think he was attacking you...IMO calling you a beer snob was a compliment...;)

DraconianHand said:
Guinness was first brewed on or shortly after 1759. Artificial carbonation wasn't introduced to the UK until 1936. So, for at least 150 years Guinness was served without nitrogen (I couldn't find a date for the invention of beer gas, but it is safe to say it wasn't before artificial carbonation).

Was Guinness a crappy beer before nitrogen? I would think that 150 years of production says, "no". If Guinness was a crappy beer without nitrogen, then it isn't a good beer with nitrogen (kinda like adding fruit to a bad beer to make it "better") .

Keep in mind that the atmosphere is 74% nitrogen, and the beer engine was developed by Joseph Bramah (April 13, 1748 – December 9, 1814). The beer engine forces ambient air, which consists mainly of nitrogen, in to the beer as it's served.

This means that sometime within the first 20 years of the invention of Guinness, it was being injected with nitrogen prior to being consumed.

I believe the taste and mouth feel associated with the smaller nitrogen bubbles is what the puck in the canned Guinness is trying to replicate, however, since the cask conditioned stout would have had CO2, and the beer engine would have added N2, we have a strong case for "beer gas" being used as early as the late 1770s.

As I tried to say earlier, come over and try it here in Ireland...

I've travelled a fair bit and you won't get me to buy Guinness abroad as it simply doesn't travel well... This is for many reasons including the slow draw on the tap, or possibly an inexperienced barman (not to mention that an American pint isn't the full 568ml we drink)

I've tried Guinness stateside that tastes like muck... And you simply can't have the craic when your dinking sh1te...

I don't blame anyone who tries Guinness outside Ireland for possibly not liking it, but I do say if your ever in Ireland, order a real pint in a real pub...

Guiness what can you say about it, an easy drinking mediocre dry stout. Very much the BMC of the stout world. I've drank it all over ireland and further afield and guess what its still always mediocre.
The japanese export version a least has some balls about it (still isn't that great though) and the nigerian version at least tries something differnent by adding mashed sorghum into the concentrate shipped over from ireland.

Actually the beer over here in ireland is pretty much crap all round (pasteurised bland easy drink swill for the masses). You guys across the water have it better than you realise with the countless numbers of brewpubs and micros.
What we do have over here is a great pub atmosphere, i just wish we had the great beer to go with it :(

Umm..... I thought my post would be taken as meant (see ABOVE)

If I am pissed I don't put an ;) at the end of the sentence. CHILL THE F OUT!!;)

TRUE STORY my boss (see nazi in the dictionary) likes BEER! Imagine that. He only likes 2 kinds though.....YOU FRIGGING GUESSED IT.........

GUINNESS AND BUDWEISER.

I'm sorry. That stands as an unsolicited "something definitely reeks here" kind of factoid.

cheezydemon said:
Umm..... I thought my post would be taken as meant (see ABOVE)

If I am pissed I don't put an ;) at the end of the sentence. CHILL THE F OUT!!;)

TRUE STORY my boss (see nazi in the dictionary) likes BEER! Imagine that. He only likes 2 kinds though.....YOU FRIGGING GUESSED IT.........

GUINNESS AND BUDWEISER.

I'm sorry. That stands as an unsolicited "something definitely reeks here" kind of factoid.

Those are certainly 2 totally different ends of the spectrum!

I can't stand Guinness. I've had it in the UK and i've had some here in the states. Both locations made me regret my decision. I do agree that it tasted different in the UK (Not Ireland, but still), but it was still nasty to me.

rmck1 said:

I've travelled a fair bit and you won't get me to buy Guinness abroad as it simply doesn't travel well... This is for many reasons including the slow draw on the tap, or possibly an inexperienced barman (not to mention that an American pint isn't the full 568ml we drink)

I've tried Guinness stateside that tastes like muck... And you simply can't have the craic when your dinking sh1te...

I don't blame anyone who tries Guinness outside Ireland for possibly not liking it, but I do say if your ever in Ireland, order a real pint in a real pub...

it doesnt travel far to get to the states... its brewed in canadia!

I am not so sure that Guinness (HERE 3% ABV SWILL) is that far off from BMC. That is my point. It is budweiser with a dark color and a sligt burnt taste.

cheezydemon said:
I am not so sure that Guinness (HERE 3% ABV SWILL) is that far off from BMC. That is my point. It is budweiser with a dark color and a sligt burnt taste.

Guinness has a taste? :D

Seriously though, Bud light has more flavor than any of the Guinness Draught I've tried.

rmck1 said:

it's different, in ireland it's only 3% ABV - very easy drinking, and i agree, when you are in ireland there's nothing like it. you can drink it all day and still walk out of the pub at the end of it. the overseas guinness is deffo not as nice tasting but i think may be stronger in some locations.

there are good pints available stateside - you really need a place that turns over a lot of the black stuff.

while taste-wise i wouldn't lump guinness in with BMC, in one respect they are very close - the marketting onslaught in ireland is never ending, they sponsor everything and have their name on everything! it put me off a bit the first time i saw that but of course i was still sinking a few pints

Yep. Not a fan of Guiness.
Tastes like finely ground chalk mixed with water.

Mmmm, always will enjoy Guinness, no matter what some say. That's the good thing about the world, everybody can have their own opinion.

Absolutely tusch. Enjoy away. I believe that you are one who sincerely enjoys it. I would maintain however, that there are a lot of *Warning! Sweeping generalizations not meant to offend will follow!* drunk frat dorks and faux beer snobs who drink it because it seems hip, trendy, avante garde (at least to their crowd). It is kind of the Ralph Lauren of beers.

Anyone who drinks Guinness, BMC, and perhaps Blue Moon, Killians, or any number of other slightly off BMC mediocre brews is a frigging poser or a budding beer snob who is still wet behind the ears.

Anyone who bothers to try new beers and other stouts and still likes Guinness is every bit as entitled to their opinion as anyone else.

Back