Guiness is Overated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I buy their beer about once a year, just bought a 6er of the Guiness Draught in 11.2 oz bottles,,,,,got 5 left, free!! The bottles are nice.....

Guinness was the first stout I ever had. I decided stout beer was awful. I then had many good craft stouts and now really enjoy them. I had a Guinness a month ago and I still hated it. At least I am consistent!

I buy their beer about once a year, just bought a 6er of the Guiness Draught in 11.2 oz bottles,,,,,got 5 left, free!! The bottles are nice.....

Agreed. It's drinkable on tap, although below average compared to most stouts. Awful in the bottles. Makes me think of stale coffee grounds.

Gotta agree with the original poster. Went to an event a few years ago for like the 7000th anniversary of Guinness or something like that and they had a limited edition "original". Getting away from open fermentation was a big mistake. :)

Agree. Everything on nitro tastes the same to me. Now in the UK, having a John Smiths with some fish n chips, whole different story...

Guiness Foreign Export is definitely the best of the Guinness lineup. The extra stout is ok too. The draught is just not good.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

I love Guinness on tap, served properly from a nitro faucet setup. Not my favorite beer by any means, but if I want something creamy and light, it is nice.

Out of a bottle, meh. Tastes completely different.

The only bottled Guinness I'll drink is the Extra Stout, and even then only if there are no other stouts available.

I credit it with helping me to think "outside of the BMC box". Plus, when I was in college, drinking it made me look "cool" (saaarcasm).

Really, though, it did get me away from drinking BarleyRicePeeWater (no beer snobbery here, right?), and led to the wonderful beers I drink today.

I still drink it now and then for nostalgia's sake.

When I was in Ireland I think I had one Guiness and that was at the factory. I did have a few Murphy's stouts and I liked them quite a bit more than the Guiness.

Guinness is a dry stout (BJCP cat. 13A). There are a lot of styles of stout. You can't compare Guinness to a typical American stout.

Jump into the BJCP styles and learn the different types of stouts. Compare Guinness to others in the same category.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

+1

You can't even compare Guinness dry stout to Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Two different styles.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy a Guinness every so often; draught or bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not a big fan of Guinness but then again I'm not a big fan of dry stouts in general. I guess I can appreciate it as an example of the style about the same as I can appreciate BMC as examples of Lite American lagers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Guinness out of the bottle does suck, out of the can or on draft it is much, much better. When I do feel like a guinness it's a must to buy the cans.

Guinness is awesome IMO. The bottles suck though. It's cans or draft only for this kid.

I have an Irish friend who crossed the sea to work in Liverpool (I think maybe there's millions of Irish in that Liv / Man area) and he SWEARS that what Guinness sends over is not as good as what they keep in Ireland. Maybe back in the day there was something to it, but with Diageo owning it maybe they water it all down. Thomas also said that bottles and cans are trash .. kegs only in his opinion

Not a fan of Guinness at all. However, I will make a Black and Tan mixed with a favorite light beer, which makes it very drinkable. Has to be Guinness from a can tho.

If I am not mistaken, the Guinness we (don't like to) drink is brewed in Canada.

I've had ONE Guiness in my sixty-seven years...it was at Christmas time in 2011. I was staying at a friend's house for a few days, and she had left some Guiness in the frig, so I grabbed one and poured it into a glass. If I recall correctly, it tasted thin and flat. And then there's that goofy thing rattling around in the bottle! Go figure. Anywho, my porters and stouts are much more flavorful and drinkable, in my opinion.

glenn514:mug:

I'm just not a fan of dry Irish stout. I've had enough craft brewed examples of it to know that Guinness is a good example of the style, I just don't like it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

If I am not mistaken, the Guinness we (don't like to) drink is brewed in Canada.

I'm not sure if it all is but I picked a six pack of bottled Guinness a couple of months ago. The bottle was a twist off which struck me as strange and then I read the label. Turns out it brewed by Labatts for Guinness. I would never have bought if I had known before hand. I'm not a beer snob but I thought I was buying an imported beer. (Also I thought I was getting some pry off bottles to put homebrew into:()

I'm not sure if it all is but I picked a six pack of bottled Guinness a couple of months ago. The bottle was a twist off which struck me as strange and then I read the label. Turns out it brewed by Labatts for Guinness. I would never have bought if I had known before hand. I'm not a beer snob but I thought I was buying an imported beer. (Also I thought I was getting some pry off bottles to put homebrew into:()

And the cans are brewed in Dublin. Cans are really good IMO.

Having just returned from a 12 day tour of Ireland I can drink the Irish Guinness (on tap) all day long :). The Guinness we get in the States is awful and I can't drink it.

Two ladies on our trip who aren't normally beer drinkers much less stout drinkers loved the Guinness we had in Ireland. I will say that the further we got way from Dublin the Guinness didn't taste as good (became bitter, less creamy and balanced). I attribute the bitterness to improperly serviced tap lines. Dublin area pubs get a regular visit every 21 days from a Guinness technician to clean the lines.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

And, one reason why...When you walk into a "old-school" bar...and all the macros are proudly on display - you can usually luck out and there will be a tap for Guiness. Saved the day on many an occasion (I travel a lot).

The first long draw on a creamy Guiness....makes me happy!

I do love many beers and many different styles of beer, but I also have much love for the only real mainstream craft beer - Guiness.

I have an Irish friend who crossed the sea to work in Liverpool (I think maybe there's millions of Irish in that Liv / Man area) and he SWEARS that what Guinness sends over is not as good as what they keep in Ireland. Maybe back in the day there was something to it, but with Diageo owning it maybe they water it all down. Thomas also said that bottles and cans are trash .. kegs only in his opinion

The difference isn't the quality in the keg, its the quality of the pubs lines. In Ireland Guinness now go to every pub and clean and test the lines to maintain consistent quality. For a long time in Ireland there were pubs with great Guinness and terrible Guinness. Now its mostly pretty solid.

I've never got a decent pint of Guinness in the UK. But then again why would I drink bad Guinness in a country full of great milds and ESBs. :mug:

Latest posts

Back