Guessing hop amounts (please help, im heating my strike water as I type this)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king

Reaction score
I was initially going to brew a barley wine today but due to the fact that it is impossible to find an oxygen tank in Chicago I've decided to use my grains to do 2 different batches instead. Plus I lost my DME and had to make a starter from grain, which didn't go to well. So my question is: if I check the gravity of the wort straight out of my mash tun is there a good way to guess the amount of hops to use during the boil. I'm planning on doing a small one gallon batch with the first stronger runnings and then afterwards a 3 gallon batch with the second runnings. I have Wyeast 9097 Old Ale Blend for the 1 gallon batch and then 3711 French Saison for the 3 gallon. I know its a broad question but any advice would be appreciated. Basically I don't want either of the beers to be overly bitter.

The grains are as follows:
6lb 2oz Golden Promise
6lb 1oz Marris Otter
4lb 3oz Munich
0lb 8oz Special B

So the gravity after the mash was looking a bit higher than i wanted so i topped the kettle off with some water to bring it down to around 1.060. Because of the extra water I think that I will be able to get 2 1 gallon batches out of it. I FWHed with 1oz Chinook and 1oz Citra. Then 1oz Willamette at 60. 1oz Chinook at 15. Then 1oz Willamette and 1oz Citra at flame out. Then I'm gonna split it and pitch 2 different yeasts into each. This turned out to be a great day to brew. We have a blizzard over our heads here.

Back