Guess the member.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one could be hard

2076zgk.jpg

i did the best i could, considering i don't know yiddish.

Yiddish????!

"Die Mensch-Maschine" is German for "the man-machine" (like robot).

It's also English for "Die, menschmaschine!":cross:

Yup!!! Methinks that we are seriously into the lurker's names now...I wonder how many realize some of us have been making pictographs of their names?

actually some of these folks were formerly fairly regular. Not so much now. Everyone comes and goes.

But the word mensch, is yiddish in origin.

Mensch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, it is German in origin. That wikipedia reference is looking at it from an American perspective. The word Mensch means "man" (as in mankind) in German. The Yiddish language was a result of Jews moving to German speaking territories. The German language came before the Yiddish language and the word Mensch was in the German language before the Jews moved into German-speaking territory. Jews took the German word Mensch and made it an idiom, which has carried over into Jewish-American culture. The word Mensch is a very common German word, like Scheisse!

No, it is German in origin. That wikipedia reference is looking at it from an American perspective. The word Mensch means "man" (as in mankind) in German. The Yiddish language was a result of Jews moving to German speaking territories. The German language came before the Yiddish language and the word Mensch was in the German language before the Jews moved into German-speaking territory. Jews took the German word Mensch and made it an idiom, which has carried over into Jewish-American culture. The word Mensch is a very common German word, like Scheisse!
Hey, no seriousness in this thread. Get with the program, man.:D

Well...

I learned something today!
(south park reference)

My bad! I got all jacked up there over my own last name (which is GERMAN by the way!). Please continue...:mug:

Well, I'm sorry because that was my doing. I had no idea into the origin of "mensch" so I went with what Google gave me. 100% my bad, please take no offense.

Be careful driving Ed. I'd hate to see a Sox fan in danger. Seriously though, be careful. But mostly stay classy...
Thanks Ben. I made it about 30 minutes ago. Settling in for some work, cruising here and then off to the Carrier Dome for some football.

The best part? I have to get to Hartford by 11:30 am tomorrow for hoops practice. I am experiencing the weekend from hell, made worse by the fact I haven't had a beer since Wednesday. :mad:

And Ben, stop changing your avatar. I'm easily confused.:D

Thanks Ben. I made it about 30 minutes ago. Settling in for some work, cruising here and then off to the Carrier Dome for some football.

The best part? I have to get to Hartford by 11:30 am tomorrow for hoops practice. I am experiencing the weekend from hell, made worse by the fact I haven't had a beer since Wednesday. :mad:

And Ben, stop changing your avatar. I'm easily confused.:D

Glad you made it safe and sound. :mug:

Back