Growth tip has turn into hop burr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Reaction score
Hello all,

So all my plants are doing great. My Chinook has an amazing amount of buds, but the four growth tips have stopped growing and have turned into hop buds. Anyone ever run into this, and is there away to prevent it in the future.

TIA:tank:

My centennial has done this too. Does this mean that it's done growing? I don't really see any "side" growth, and it only put up one bine. Although the nine it has is awesome, if that's all, it'll only supplement one batch.

I don't know how to prevent it. However it's early in the season, train another bine. There are guys cutting bines down still and starting over. Furthermore, it's possible for something on the side to grow out and then turn into a tip looking for up.

Probably not that helpful, but I won't worry to much about it. A month from now, if there's more height. That would be weird.

I don't know if this holds true for hops. But for a lot of plants the primary meristem (growth tip) produces a hormone that inhibits lateral growth. It may be that once the tip flowers your plant will start producing a lot of side arms. I'm on my second year with my plants and last year it seemed like my sidearms really took off only after the primary tips had flowered.

Back