Growing Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was reading This Old House Magazine today and noticed an article about making a walkway with stone and planting Irish Moss.

They got me thinking, this is the same Irish Moss we put in wort, right? Assuming someone was doing/has done a project like this it would be simple to grab a handful and dry it out to use for brewing every once and a while.

Does anyone actually do this?

So I was reading This Old House Magazine today and noticed an article about making a walkway with stone and planting Irish Moss.

They got me thinking, this is the same Irish Moss we put in wort, right? Assuming someone was doing/has done a project like this it would be simple to grab a handful and dry it out to use for brewing every once and a while.

Does anyone actually do this?

The Irish "moss" we use is actually a type of seaweed, and in most commercial examples, actually a blend of several seaweeds.

Irish moss, or carrageen moss (Irish carraigín, "little rock") Basically, the early commercialization was by companies in Ireland.

You can grow it, but maintaining a seawater aquarium is a pain.

I think I'm growing Irish moss on this Irish stew I made about a month and a half ago in the back of my fridge. I can pull you out a bowl if you want.....

Back