Growing hops to shade greenhouse in summer? Help me think this through.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilRoundHouse

Reaction score
I need some input from those of you who have experience growing hops. Bit of an intro here, bear with me.

We've just completed construction on a 12'x48' passive solar greenhouse on our property that we'll be using to grow edibles during the fall, winter and spring:

8584278100_fd8b70f1ef_z.jpg

It faces due south (to maximize solar absorption), and it works very well to that effect. So well, in fact, that it heats up WAAAAY too much in the summer to be useful for much of anything. I have vents, but they're not enough. I could add fans, but the whole idea here is to manage temperatures passively. I've looked into shade and aluminum cloth.

But today, I had an idea. What if I could grow hops up the clear/glazed side to create shade? I was already planning to plant a variety of hops in different locations around the farm this year.

Please note the large raised bed that runs around the entire south side of the greenhouse. It's knee deep and will be filled with quality soil come spring.

Basically, my plan would be to add something to the greenhouse that looks like this (the diagram only shows one, I would do this the length of the structure):

12443102845_753ccd39bf_z.jpg

With the hope that come summer, the greenhouse would look like this (excuse the quick and dirty Photoshop):

12443320783_278c1cf3b6_z.jpg

So in my head, this works great. Hops seem perfect for this application because they grow big, fast, are brought down to harvest and get cut down to the ground in the winter (when we want all the sun in there we can get).

My questions for you experienced hop growers are as follows:

- Could this actually work at all?

- Any issues with having them grow up a slope? (it's not a 45 degree angle, but it's pretty close) I would be setting the twine up off the surface of the glazing so they still have air flow around them (also the land around here is super flat, we get good breezes constantly).

- How closely would I have to plant them to achieve maximum bushiness/light absorbtion without screwing up cone production?

- What aren't I thinking of here?

All input/ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Sweet greenhouse! I would think it' s feasible but I am far from an expert.
One thing is if you want total coverage as your lovely photoshop suggests you would be limited to one type as they would intermingle.

Yes, it could work.
Hops will grow horizontally if that is the only available way for them to expand.
I had two hops at the back of my 20x20 garage, they covered nearly 1/2 of the entire back wall at full growth - August - it helped keep the garage cool.
Just outside Detroit, Mi. Full sun on that back of the garage – no shade – from May to October
Hallertau grew gang busters
You would need to keep them separated - the varieties will grow together in a big giant vine - and you will not be able to tell what is Nugget or Halluertau.
Only start with something like 6 kinds/groups of bines – space them equally apart.
You will also find that some grow better in your soil than others.
Do not try and get total coverage in your first year, my Hops peaked in their 3 year of life.
( Hallertau, best output & flavor was it’s 3rd year in the ground )
Hops grow like weeds, and if you do not prune them back they can take over an area
You would need to keep them OFF the surface, and all that reflected light may bake them
How much heat does that roof reflect ?
All the water runoff from your clear roof, might be too much for the bines to drink in
You might need to divert some water away from the bines.
Hop bines will grow so fast you can hear them creak, if they are properly feed & watered ( you can measure a day growth at their peak in Aug/Sep )
But too much water / not enough drainage will drown them, and you will get mold.
That wall is more than decorative?

I'd be willing to grow all one variety on the greenhouse if that meant I could let them grow thicker than if I tried to keep several varieties separated (I have other places on the property where I could plant hops as well if I want other varieties).

The thrust here would be the addition of shade to the structure, the hops would be a delicious bonus.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the "roof" surface is actually clear... so it reflects hardly at all. It's 3-layer polycarbonate sheeting. Hence why I want something growing over it so badly... here's a pic from the inside this winter:

10846456723_a184a70d1e_z.jpg

The water runoff is a legit concern, we were already planning to add a gutter to that side to prevent the water runoff from washing out the garden beds.

The low brick wall you see will hold soil between itself and the wall of the greenhouse, forming a raised bed all around the south side.

Humulothermal cooling, I'm all over it! I've been doing that on the south side of my house for about the last 15 years.

I'd plant rhizomes about every 3 feet to get good coverage the first year. At the end of the year you can take every other one out and replant elsewhere. I'm right up in NE Ohio so you've probably got pretty similar soils. Cascade, Chinook, Canadian Redvine and Bullion(Brewer's Gold) do very very well for me. The only thing about your plan that may cause a little problem is the angle. It's no biggie as they'll continue to grow but they may not stick to the lines that you want them to. You'll be fine and they'll appreciate the additional runoff water once they get established. Hop On~

If you are growing for shade and not necessarily the hops, maybe even plant them a little closer together. Then the side arms will jump from 1 twine to the other and make a giant carpet up there.

Bob's also right, they won't mind the water once they are established. Just be careful the first year.

The only two other problems I see are 1) getting them established may be tough. The bines don't like to grow at high temperatures. The heat off the greenhouse, especially in year 1, may be too much. 2) how do you get them down in the fall? Is there a way to climb up there and cut the whole mess down? Even without the leaves, you will have a giant mass of bines that will do a good job of shading all winter.

You may want to consider growing straight up in front of the greenhouse to act as a wall?

[/QUOTE]
It's hard to tell from the picture, but the "roof" surface is actually clear... so it reflects hardly at all. It's 3-layer polycarbonate sheeting. Hence why I want something growing over it so badly... here's a pic from the inside this winter:
[/QUOTE]

LilHouse - in the summer time how hot is that "roof" surface ? If you place your hand on it - will it be more than warm to the touch ?
I have a sliding glass door that faces due south, and at the height of the heat
it is warm to the touch, on the out side - it will reflect heat

Try to keep the Hops off the surface, or the reflected light/heat will bake them

and if it is really that hot in the Green house sound like you have a place to dry your hops in the fall.

Definitely think about how you are going to "harvest" them.
Its easy to just cut the lines & the root, but a giant weed that is 12 ft x 48 ft
is probably not real manageable - and could be pretty heavy in September !

Good Luck, and start working on a Farm House Sasion for all those hops !

Thanks all for the input.

The exterior of the poly panels doesn't get too hot, I don't think. And I'm planning on spacing the supports up off them so hopefully that won't kill it.

For harvesting, I would have easy access to the roof peak from the other side of the building, I could just snip the twine/cord and "let" them down the slope, so to speak.

I've been brainstorming this and have some ideas about how to support the bines that are way better than my initial illustrations would indicate. I'll update this as we go.

Assuming you can provide support that doesn't cook the bines, I'd go with something that will grow pretty much anywhere, has long side-arms, and exhibits relatively prolific growth.

This sounds like a job for...Cascades and Chinook!

Cheers!

You sir are NOT looking for advice on how to grow hops! Youre looking to inspire insane jealousy in me for your super awesome greenhouse!

Great work!

For what its worth, i grow Chinook and Cascade. Both grow voraciously but the Chinook have huge leaves and might serve you well.

It seems that Chinook is also more tolerant of various soil types/situations, and is one of the more disease/pest resistant varieites (we have Japanese Beetles here in biblical proportions every year). Large side arms as well.

Chinook is looking like our winner here.

Back