Group buy in Chicago #2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. The spreadsheet has been updated and we're at 19 sacks so far; almost halfway there. Everyone check the spreadsheet and make sure I've entered everything correctly. Thanks.

Just curiosity here, but why don't you guys just drive down to South Holland to pick it up? That way there's no delivery and you can get grain whenever you want without having to wait on filling up a pallet.

PseudoChef said:
Just curiosity here, but why don't you guys just drive down to South Holland to pick it up? That way there's no delivery and you can get grain whenever you want without having to wait on filling up a pallet.

Because they don't allow individual pick ups anymore.

PseudoChef said:
When did that start? I just went down maybe two months ago without a problem.

Really? I was told back in March that they were only selling to groups and no longer selling to individuals. Who did you talk to? I'm very curious to find out more. Thanks.

Was your first inquiry with them in March? If that's the case, then yes, I think they changed in regards that they aren't accepting new individual customers. However, if you had previously ordered/been a customer, then you were basically grandfathered in. I've been picking up for about two years now. If you had previously been a customer, then I'm stumped and I guess I was just lucky.

I'd love to help out next time to alleviate shipping costs, but unfortunately sold my pick-up truck :(

Ok who is in for splitting a sack of 60L? I would take 10lbs or so.

I'm also good for 2 sacs of 2row and some Vienna.

RC0032 said:

Is that two sacks of each or a total of two sacks?

I can take 25lbs. That would take care of my 60L split. Anyone want to split some rye?

Is that two sacks of each or a total of two sacks?
Sorry:

I will take 2 sacks of 2raw

If someone wants to split I will take upto a 1/2 sack of Vienna

I will also take 10+ lbs of 60L

I can take 25lbs. That would take care of my 60L split. Anyone want to split some rye?
I dont want the other 25lbs but I will take ~10lbs.

I've already put in an order for two bags with bmason, but I'm interested in splitting some crystal. Please let me know if you'd like to go in for a fractional amount.

Malric,
Are you still interested in splitting a sack of Crystal II? I would be in the market for 25lbs., although I could adjust higher or lower.

It is an English crystal malt in the 60 Lovibond range. Country Malt Group carries the following Fawcett crystal malts:

Fawcett Pale Crystal (20-27°L)
Fawcett Crystal Malt I (42-48°L)
Fawcett Crystal Malt II (62-68°L)
Fawcett Dark Crystal Malt I (83-90°L)
Fawcett Dark Crystal Malt II (118-124°L)

I could take about 10 or 15 lb of the crystal II. It's my first buy and I don't want to overstocked.

I could take about 10 or 15 lb of the crystal II. It's my first buy and I don't want to overstocked.

I had the same concern with Vienna malt on my first buy last time. Now I need more which is what brought about round #2. $0.02.

That could certainly work, especially if RC0032 is interested in some. If you each determine what you are interested in, I will cover the remainder.

14lbs (or a 1/4 sack) of the CII sounds good to me.

I would also take a 1/3-1/2 a sack of wheat if people are looking for wheat.

I'll take a quarter of a bag of crystal II. I'm also interested in melanoidin malt. I brewed up a three floyds Dreadnaught clone that was very tasty.

14lbs (or a 1/4 sack) of the CII sounds good to me.

I would also take a 1/3-1/2 a sack of wheat if people are looking for wheat.

I'll take a quarter of a bag of crystal II. I'm also interested in melanoidin malt. I brewed up a three floyds Dreadnaught clone that was very tasty.

That sounds great. I will take the remaining 27 lbs. of the crystal II.

As regards the melanoidin malt, I have some Munich and Vienna on order already and typically do a decoction mash where appropriate, so I will have to sit out on that split.

Still looking for splits on 60L and rye if anyone is interested. I can do a half sack of each.

Toss a full sack of rye onto my order and then I'm done. I can always get 60L as needed at my LHBS. Thanks!

bmason1623 said:
for those who want to participate in a group but send me your email addresses along with your HBT username and you grain requests. Once I get the spreadsheet up online I'll send you the link. Hopefully by the end of this week. b-m-a-s-o-n-1-6-2-3_at_g-m-a-i-l_DOT_c-o-m. thanks.

Email me your orders. My address is above. Thanks

I will check on my stock this weekend and report back. I am good with most base grains but am lacking everything else. I have only brewed a few batches since the last buy. My brew room build and the kids/summer and really killing my beer fix. :(

I would be down for a full sack of CMC white wheat.

Demon, I need to check the prices but there's a good chance I'd take some of the Crystal 60L or Crystal II. I'd be willing to take up to half a sack but preferably only a quarter sack. What brand were you looking at?

On a side note, still irked that we can't order Briess products - they have such a wide selection and really decent prices. Any idea why that particular brand is off-limits?

Latest posts

Back