Group buy for grain inquiry near NH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistaCitra

Reaction score
hello everyone I am interested in a group buy if there is one near or preferably in NH. Most likely be interested in four sacks. Thank you!!

Hi Steve I have an account that let’s me buy bulk now but I am not sure how everyone does it on here monetarily. I’d like to get a bunch of people together around the area and go in on a pallet which would save a ton compared to shipping a single bag with a total cost of 55-60 bucks. The potentiality of savings could be huge!

Hi Steve I have an account that let’s me buy bulk now but I am not sure how everyone does it on here monetarily. I’d like to get a bunch of people together around the area and go in on a pallet which would save a ton compared to shipping a single bag with a total cost of 55-60 bucks. The potentiality of savings could be huge!
We've been doing group grain buys in the DC area for many years.

We had a spreadsheet to keep track of orders, and moneys due. We now use a website. We also do organized splits, which is a mixed blessing.

Moneys are collected through the group buy organizer's PayPal account. When the order is complete everyone pays him from their PayPal account using F&F and only direct drafts from their bank account so there are no delays or CC fees. When everyone has paid up, the order is placed with the supplier. A few weeks later when the order is received we gather to distribute and pick up.

5 years ago it ran us more than $60 to get a full pallet shipped, more like $300, IIRC. We now have a different supplier, and we are not bound to full pallets (40-42 sacks) anymore, and we get charged per sack for shipping, which runs only a tad more per sack, regardless of quantity.

Do you have a sales list of what is available and prices?

Oginme i’m currently at work right now but will get back to you with concrete info. Off the top of my head I know I can get marris otter, briess, great western.

We've been doing group grain buys in the DC area for many years.

We had a spreadsheet to keep track of orders, and moneys due. We now use a website. We also do organized splits, which is a mixed blessing.

Moneys are collected through the group buy organizer's PayPal account. When the order is complete everyone pays him from their PayPal account using F&F and only direct drafts from their bank account so there are no delays or CC fees. When everyone has paid up, the order is placed with the supplier. A few weeks later when the order is received we gather to distribute and pick up.

5 years ago it ran us more than $60 to get a full pallet shipped, more like $300, IIRC. We now have a different supplier, and we are not bound to full pallets (40-42 sacks) anymore, and we get charged per sack for shipping, which runs only a tad more per sack, regardless of quantity.

Island lizard-

Expect to get PM’d I have a ton of questions. Lol.

Rahr 2-row, Crisp Maris Otter, Weyermann Barke Pilsner for sure. Possibly a bag of Weyermann Munich Type II. Much depends upon the fully loaded price.

Rahr 2-row, Crisp Maris Otter, Weyermann Barke Pilsner for sure. Possibly a bag of Weyermann Munich Type II. Much depends upon the fully loaded price.

I can get

Rahr 2-row, Maris Otter crisp malting, Weyermann Munich dark, weyermann german and German bohemian.

Briess 2row would be around 45-48
Rahr 2row would be around 56-59(more expensive than I thought)
Maris otter crisp would be around 70-75
Weyermann dark would be around 66-70
Weyermann bohemian around 70-74
Weyermann German around 63-67

These are rough calculations based from if there was around 12-15 bags ordered. If there was more then it would be even cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback on the prices. I'll opt out for right now, they pretty much match pricing at Jaspers (or maybe just a buck or two more for most, 6 to 9 more for the Rahr).

If we got enough people together to get 20 bags or more on the pallet those prices would look a hell of a lot better

How many people here that were interested let me know how many bags you would order for real and I will ask local HBs and collectively should give me an understanding of how many bags total. I think this will be the best approach going forward because I was giving a rough estimate on shipping that I would get charged for parcel when shipping a 50lber.

I'm interested in a group buy but those prices looked a little steep. I would expect most of that stuff to be around $1/lb or less after shipping unless the prices have gone up drastically since I last bought grain in bulk. What supplier is this?

Back