Grolsh type swing top bottles + vacuum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who may have experienced this before. It is not beer related per-se, but the grolsch style swing type bottles, can they hold a vacuum? I ask because I am mixing up a large batch of barbeque sauce and since it is difficult to find bottles with metal caps (I used to use vinegar bottles, but they switched to plastic 2 liter style caps), and I like the neck style of bottles over jars. Would the glass flip top bottles be able to hold the vacuum caused by pouring hot BBQ sauce in and capping? It is strongly vinegar based so it really should be inhospitible to nasties but I just wonder if it would be a suitable use. I know if I were to use these for beer in the future I would need to clean them throroughly and replace the gaskets.

Thoughts?

I would think that if the vessel can hold +pressure then it would also be able to hold the low amount of -pressure that you are talking about.

Maybe, but just because it can hold pressure doesn't mean it can hold a vacuum.

I got a few bottles back from a friend and he had rinsed them with hot tap water right before capping them. When I opened each one it seemed to have a vacuum inside. Don't know if we're talking the same amount of vacuum but it will hold some... Plus I've seen BBQ sauce bottles in stores with swing top lids before.

That was my thought as well. I just need some good containers for it that will not add flavors from heat+plastics. I have done that before and yuck.

it does not really need to be canned or anything as most BBQ sauces are not really very subject to the nasties and this one is already mostly vinegar.

I have worked with complex industrial vacuum systems for years and I have never found a valve or or seal that holds pressure that will not hold a vacuum.

Hahaha, ya got me there. But what if it doesn't have the correct Thread on the other side?

I have worked with complex industrial vacuum systems for years and I have never found a valve or or seal that holds pressure that will not hold a vacuum.

You need to look a little harder! There are lots of seals that work for pressure but not vacuum, or the other way around.

Put a vacuum on your corny keg and let me know how the seal holds up then. Or put positive pressure in a mason jar.

Back