Greetings from the groovy west coast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lungus

Reaction score
Hi! my internet handle is Lungus, (long story)and I just started brewing mead a short time ago and started lurking here shortly after looking at recipes.

I currently have a couple of batches of Grandma's Liquid Apple Pie going in 2.86L cider jars. The first one I made two noob mistakes by badly miscalculating how long it would take for the must to cool down so the yeast was rehydrating for 2+ hours. When I saw how long it was going to take I fed the yeast a small pinch of white sugar but the must was still about 100F. when I pitched the yeast and fermentation took off like a shot and was basically done 4 days later. So I didn't was to judge it by that poor attempt so I made a second, the right way and the fermentation lasted about the same time but when the yeast fell out of suspension it cleared much better than the first attempt. I racked them both and the second is remarkably clear whereas the first is still fairly cloudy.
The first recipe I tried was made June 6. It is a plain mulled mead with 25% apple juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and a clove and it is still happily fermenting 3 weeks later. Once activity stops I'll rack it.

Latest posts

Back