Greetings from NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick91981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm Rick and I'm from Westchester, NY. I'm mostly a lurker but figured it was time to post. I have brewed two batches so far. The first batch, an English Pale Ale, I just bottled today. The second is a Dark Cherry Stout, and that was just racked to secondary today.

I fear the 1st batch will be undrinkable because it fermented too hot. It was between 75-78 Degrees. I found some useful info here about wrapping a wet towel around the fermenter to keep the temps down. Well the second batch I used the towel trick and I keep the tub of water cool by rotating bottles of ice, and it happily ferments around 68 Degrees. So I really just wanted to thank you for all the useful info that it here.

P.S. Anyone from the lower Westchester area know of a good LHBS nearby?

Welcome! I'm glad you decided to post.
Don't give up on your beer just yet. Let it condition for about 3 weeks and give it a try. :mug:

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see another New Yorker around here, the cheesheads and the Virginia/No Carolina folk seem to dominate. Need a few more of us yankees here:mug: . Note to New England contingent, that was yankees with a small y not Yankees as in the 26 time world champs:D

Rick,

You asked about a local home brew shop in southern westchester. There is a True Value Hardware store in Eastchester, NY (www.cornells.com) and that's the only show in town, or the county, that I know of. They carry homebrew supplies in the basement storage areas. So they don't have a homebrew person on staff, but the owner can help as he's a homebrewer.

Thanks Illinibrew. I know exactly where that True Value is. My brother used to work there. Ive been in there but have never seen home brew supplies. But now I know to look for the basement area next time I am in there. Thanks a bunch.

Back