Greetings from Jacksonville, FL!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectreoneone

Reaction score
I'm 31, and a relatively new home brewer (3 batches of mead and 3 extract brews under my belt so far). I'm currently serving in the Navy, so I have somewhat limited time to brew, but I thoroughly enjoy it. I'm looking forward to moving into all-grain once I knock out a couple more extract brews, so it will definitely be new and exciting territory for me. Definitely glad to be here!

Hey and welcome! Are you at NAS jax? I'm a few minutes from there. There is a good homebrew club here in town that meets the second Saturday of each month at different breweries / taprooms around town. Let me know if you want some info.

I'm actually stationed at Mayport. I grew up in Jax, but left back in the early '90s. I recently transferred from Newport, RI (where I got bitten by the brewing bug), and I deployed right after I got my family settled. I'll be back a little later this year, but I definitely have a few questions in terms of the Jacksonville home brewing scene.

Also, since I haven't brewed in Jax yet, what should I expect from the water? Newport also had pretty hard water, so I used a decent filtering setup. Anyways...I'm definitely looking forward to getting home and brewing up a couple of batches. Thanks!

I use RO water from the machines at Publix or WinnDixie. Water at mayport will be pretty different from over here at NAS because of all the different pumping stations but either place its pretty hard and in our case tastes funny out of the tap.

The beer / homebrew scene here is great. You will have 4-5 small breweries near you at mayport and a solid homebrew store between beach and atlantic called Just Brew It. Homebrew club members get a 10% discount there as well!

Thanks for the welcome!

Jekeane: I won't be able to take advantage of it for a while, but I am thinking that I would definitely benefit (as well as enjoy) checking out the homebrewing club...what sort of info do you have on it? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the welcome!

Jekeane: I won't be able to take advantage of it for a while, but I am thinking that I would definitely benefit (as well as enjoy) checking out the homebrewing club...what sort of info do you have on it? Thanks in advance!

thecask.org is the website and they are on Facebook under "The Cowford Ale Sharing Klub" The online presence leaves a little to be desired but I think they are changing out the officer / volunteer in charge of that at some point.

Latest posts

Back