Greetings from Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_D

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm Will Davis from Dublin Ireland. One of the founders of the National Homebrew Club Ireland. (might be a linky in my sig)

We are now nearly 860 strong on the forum. 260 or so paid up.

I am one of the tech geeks in the club and when we heard about Matts' STC-1000+ project I just had to jump in.

So I have got mine flashed via a Uno.

Need to to talk to Matts about a few things - so here I am

Welcome!

What types of beers do you like to brew? what do you drink at the pub?

Will Davis
Greetings from the United States! I am a homebrewer from Sidney, Ohio! What are your favorite styles?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry for delay in replying but was wading through the 70 pages of the STC-1000+ project.

I mainly brew Hefe Wessen ( as I lived/worked in S. Germany for a long time) also Stouts, and most other thing as well.

I am big into cider making as well.

The club do a yearly group buy of fresh juice from one of the big orchards in Co. Tipperary (major apple region in south. Its Armagh in the north)

Last autumn we bought 1500 litres of a blended juice.

I also make country wines and vintage port (quickly)

In the pubs its either Guiness or Hefe if there is not craft beers availble.
If available then its craft stouts in winter and the IPAs in the summer.

We are now seeing more and more craft/micro brweries in Ireland. Its a great time to be a beer drinker in Ireland!

Talking of group buys we are in the process of buying 24 chugger pumps from your side of the pond.

Our biggest GB to date was 600 cornie kegs from Germany!

Must go flash another STC!

Typical recipe;

1 5 gallon Red wine kit
5 kgs Sugar
1 1 gallon Elderberry wine kit

Make up to about 4 gallons and pitch withh Alcotect turbo high alcohol yeast. The ones that ferment out to 22%.

After about 2 weeks gravity should have dropped from about 1.120 to 1.000 or even lower.

Now its time to feed the port:

Add a can of country wine disolved in some of the wine from the fermenter (use Blackberry, Black Cherry or Black Currant). This will raise the gravity somewhat. Let it ferment, a week or so later check again and if its down in the 1.000 to 1.010 range add another can.

You are aiming for a fished gravity of about 1.022 (gravity of most commercial ports).

When stable rack off as usual and botlle it. It is ready to drink almost straight away but will improve with age

Variation:

White Port:

Use a white wine base kit like a medium sweet white win and "whiter" country wine kits like Peach, Apricot, Elderflower.

Enjoy

Will Davis, of Dublin, Ireland! My wife and I are going to be in Dublin for three days in the month of August!
What three things should we see?
What three things should we avoid?
Ned

My wife and I are going to be in Ireland in the month of August! What three things should we see?
What should we avoid? In Dublin....

Back