Greetings from Beer City, USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSplootsBrewing

Reaction score
Since it seems like the thing to do is to introduce yourself when you join a new forum and I am not one to break with protocol, Hey!

My name is Mike, I've been brewing now for about 6 months (although I had tried about 3 years ago with spectacularly bad results.) I'm a Chicago resident that has transplanted to the Grand Rapids Michigan area and am absolutely excited to keep honing my homebrew skills. I'm super passionate about the beer industry in general (work for a beer distributor) and spend my off hours planning that next crazy batch of beer. I'm big into experimentation and love it when things turn out right.

Made the switch from partial mash to all-grain brewing back at the end of March and am proud of the fact that my first all grain batch turned out better than expected. In fact, it was good enough that my office's Cicerone remarked that it was well built. That said, I continue to tinker with small batches as time permits, though lately I haven't had an opportunity to do much brewing due to that whole "it's spring and there's outdoor work that needs doing" thing.

As for my non-brewing life, I am married and my wife and I have a one year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Louie (Though I call him fugglebutt.) I've named my home brewery Da Sploots Brewing as a play on words after my favorite brewery (Deschutes) and the "sploots" my dog seems to prefer when lying down, an example of which can be seen in my profile picture.

I'm looking forward to learning everything I can from all you experts!

Obligatory Corgi Tax:

My Brew Dog Louie
jkX4VP5.jpg

Beer city... and you didn't say portland? where are you?
;) just kdding
welcome to the fun and inevitable money taker of a hobby!

I'm sensing a rivalry here. We have a beer state in Colorado and a beer state in Washington. Perhaps it's time for a brew off?

I'm sensing a rivalry here. We have a beer state in Colorado and a beer state in Washington. Perhaps it's time for a brew off?

They're just jealous that GR is the true Beer City, USA. (It's official, just Google it and see all of the GR references on the first page!) Plus the fact that MI can have plenty of breweries without needing to fill them with Hipsters! :cross:

Alright, I'm kidding, settle down. Don't get your fixed gears in a tizzy.

Seriously, GR is a very nice beer city. You're lucky to have Siciliano's market and a few other Homebrew supply stores nearby. O'Connor's has a really sweet deli on the corner with a really nice selection of beers and all kinds of wines, cheeses, chocolates, etc. I'll have to plan a trip back there soon.

Cheers! :mug:

I love Siciliano's. My company sells to them and O'Connors too. Our "beer school" at work gets to do brewing internships (brew days on the weekends) at Perrin, which is an education as well. Looking forward to this summer when I go to Traverse City and hitting all the breweries up there. Hopefully we can manage to get a royal treatment at Right Brain Brewing since we work with them too. Mmmmm...Mangalista Pig Porter....*drool*

I love Siciliano's. My company sells to them and O'Connors too. Our "beer school" at work gets to do brewing internships (brew days on the weekends) at Perrin, which is an education as well. Looking forward to this summer when I go to Traverse City and hitting all the breweries up there. Hopefully we can manage to get a royal treatment at Right Brain Brewing since we work with them too. Mmmmm...Mangalista Pig Porter....*drool*

You going up to the Microbrews and Music Festival? The wife and I are going. I should probably buy tickets today.

It's a good time!

Welcome, from the new beer state!

edit: I just googled Beer City USA and Asheville, NC was the first hit! :)

Odd. When I do it the first two are GR. I think 8 out of the 10 hits on the first page are GR. Asheville come up #3 and #7.

I just did it again with Asheville first hit and GR 7th hit. Must be a google thing catering topics to our respective regions.

For work I have to be careful doing research because google will keep feeding me back similar information when what I really want is diversified information.:(

Even for homebrewing equipment and info once I've bought something it will keep wasting my time and the sellers money pushing adverts I'm no longer interested in.

Welcome!

GR has some solid breweries and in case the brew dog likes to make it out for a beer, we've found Elk brewing to have a solid line up and is dog friendly!

Harmony allows them as well, plus great pizza!

You also have at least 5 brew clubs in the area if that is of interest to you.

Back