Green's de-glutenised barley malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
I recently noticed that Green's claims they use de-glutenised barley malt. This seems to be new, several years ago when I first started purchasing Greens they didn't say anything like that. I'm wondering:
if this is a change in their procedure?

What is de-glutenised barley malt?

I can't seem to find much out online about it.

There is a way to reduce gluten (aka gluten reduced beer - like Estrella Damm Daura), using brewers clarex, but thats done during fermentation not to the malt, also I thought Greens used sorghum... maybe they plan on (or did) switching to a gluten-reduced recipe. Only thing is, they can't say "Gluten Free" according to FDA regulations if it started with gluten. Also gluten-reduced beers could still cause reactions

They should be using Millet IMHO.

I've heard of using vodka instead of water in pie crust recipies to produce a much flakier dough. The idea is that fewer glutens are produced via the mixing of the flour and vodka, leading to a less sticky baked product. That doesn't mean your body metabolizes fewer glutens, though, just that there are less present in the pie crust.

The vodka pie crust has to do with something about the way gluten protein adheres to each other (which normally gives bread it's stretchy chewiness). The crust still has the same amount of gluten as if you didn't use vodka.

Greens may be using barley that has been bred to have less gluten protein. However, recent research has shown that horidens are still present in these grains, even if it's less than normal barley.

Back