Green Tea w Coconut Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytraitors

Reaction score
This is my second brew, but so far it's great. I thought I'd share this recipe which is a derivative of the Brewer's Best kit recipe. Ingredients were purchased from MyLHBS and the Asian grocery down the street in VA.

It's basically a cream ale with some Harney and Sons Bangkok Tea that I dry hopped in secondary.

Fermentables
- 3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
- 1 lb. Lactose
- 1 lb. Corn Sugar
Specialty Grains: 8 oz. Biscuit Malt
Hops: 1 oz. Willamette
Yeast: Safale 4 English Ale
Dry Hop: 4 oz Harney & Sons Bangkok Tea (Green Tea w/ Coconut, Ginger, Vanilla, Lemongrass)
5 gallons water

Extract:
8 fl oz of gin
8 ounces of shredded coconut

Nothing too special. Steep the grains at 150F for half hr. Make the wort as per usual with the Willamette hops at the beginning @ 60 minutes.
Fermentation in primary for 1 week @ 70F, then in secondary for 1 week with the tea in a muslin bag

Extraction is just soaking the coconut in the gin for two weeks. This is a two step process since it's a lot of coconut for the volume. Essentially it's a double extraction. Soak 4 oz of coconut in week 1, then filter out the shreds and do it again. Put the extract in the fridge, and the oil will solidify at the top, skim that off so it doesn't end up solidifying in your beer. Alternative is to just buy a bottle of coconut extract - but that's like cheating and buying DME, right?

Really good beer with green tea and coconut overtones, not punching you in the face with bitterness or sweetness. Well balanced flavors overall.

Back