"green" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birds40

Reaction score
I've heard of beer being "green" and i get that it means its young and not ready yet but what does green beer taste like...asking because I have a batch that doesn't have much flavor and I'm hoping that it's just "green" and will get better with age.

To me,the flavor is light,a bit tart or bright,certainly flat. The malt & hop flavors just aren't there like they will be when conditioned.

Unbalanced, thin/watery, a bit flat. Sometimes bitterness is way over the top and melds nicely over time; sometimes bitterness isn't there at all and becomes more apparent over time. Tart/acidic. Lacking boldness. It really depends... IMO, no two taste alike, but all are distinctly "green," if that makes any sense.

I always think that when a beer is green, you can distinctly taste each of the separate ingredients, including any off flavors. Each ingredient has a separate place in the palate, and can be easily identified as separate flavors.

As the beer matures, the flavors start to meld until you have everything working in a harmonic mix, including the mellowing and masking of any off flavors. You taste one, unified BEER!

Green beer is really any flavor experience that you have that you are not happy with that may be present in the first few weeks of the beer's life that is gone when the beer is fully matured, a few weeks later.

The chili/spaghetti analogy is a good one.

It really can be any number of flavors, many of them are the same ones that are on those "off flavor charts." The only real difference is that they will go away with time.

Often like other's have said it manifests as a green apple taste, which is Acetaldehyde, but generally when we referr to a beer as being green it means it's young and hasn't come into it's full flavor profile yet.

That's why I say don't sweat any flavor or aroma that you experience from yeast pitch day til its been about 8 weeks in the bottle. Then if the beer still has that, you can look at the causes of it from those charts. But still radically sometimes walking away from a beer for 6 months to a year before deciding to dump it, the beer can end up being OK....

Describe Green Beer.

Thanks for the posts, it sounds like my beer is green. Ill let it sit for a few weeks before tasting again

The "green" flavor described as 'acidic / tart" I always thought of as a bi-product of carbonation.. carbonic acid. It fades very quickly (matter of a few days), and that is what I always thought of by a beer being "green"... that it just barely finished carbonating.

Latest posts

Back