Green apple taste even with great temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsherlock22

Reaction score
Kegged my 2nd batch (an IPA) after 3.5 week primary. I realized my 1st batch was ruined by poor temp control so was anal with this batch. Still getting an apple taste. Is it still too young? Am I expecting too much after less than a month? Should be clean up?

Green apple, or acetaldehyde, can be caused by more than just young beer or choice in yeast strain.

It can be caused by premature removal from yeast, high flocculating yeast, oxygen depletion during fermentation, bacterial spoilage and even oxidation.

You can control it like passedpawn mentioned, by prolonged contact with the yeast (like you did), choosing a different yeast strain (US-04 or US-05 matters in this case as they have different flocculation characteristics), aerating more prior to pitching, practicing good sanitation, avoiding O2 pickup when bottling/kegging and also by lagering.

I'm not sure of your entire process or sanitation, or recipe for that matter, but your best bet at this point would be to continue to keep it in the keg (essentially lagering it) and tasting it until the green apple flavor fades away.

Hope this helps! :mug:

Amanda

Also, jsherlock, out of curiosity... would you describe this "green apple" flavor to be "fresh and fruity" or more of an "acetic‐cider" (the later being unpleasant).

I ask this because if this flavor was produced anaerobically, e.g. without O2 present, than it would be fruitier than if it was produced via the presence of oxygen (O2 pickup when transferring or bacterial spoilage).

I'm just asking so we can help with your process.

Either way, according to George Fix, the long, cold storage of lagering allows for a more or less complete reduction of acetaldehyde to ethanol, which is what you want in the end.

In the keg??

I don't keg, so I don't know if it is even possible, but yes I'd add it. Leave it on CO2. Or, transfer under gas back to a carboy and pitch there (that's what I would prefer to do if it were me). Anyway, it's the yeast that will finish converting intermediate products to ethanol, so getting quantities of healthy yeast in there is the fastest way to drinkable product.

Kegged my 2nd batch (an IPA) after 3.5 week primary. I realized my 1st batch was ruined by poor temp control so was anal with this batch. Still getting an apple taste. Is it still too young? Am I expecting too much after less than a month? Should be clean up?

Can you tell us what hops you used and how you used them?

Ray

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I would describe it as "fruity" and considering whats been mentioned, my best guess is lack of have it on CO2 in the fridge now. I wou

Would guess improper aeration. Hopefully solving that with an airstone soon. Being that I'm new to brewing/lazy, and many have mentioned lagering may help, think I may let it sit on CO2 in fridge for a while and try it weekly. Hopefully I'll learn something and it will slowly improve with time. Sound like a decent plan?

Sounds good to me!

Be sure to report back and let us know your progress. Everyone likes an ending to the story. :mug:

Back