Double IPA Great Lakes Nosferatu Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfehon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1028
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Citrus, pine, roasted, caramel
I've been trying to construct a Great Lakes Nosferatu clone recipe since the beer is only available in September/October. After a few attempts I think I've come up with something spot on, which can be enjoyed year round. Crystal 77 can be difficult to find but it's essential to this recipe. I tried first with crystal 80 and the result was less successful compared to the actual beer. Plus it's listed on the Great Lakes website as part of the recipe.

13.5 LB US 2 Row
1LB Special Roast
1LB Crystal 77
4oz Carared

Mash at 154 degrees.

1oz Simcoe (90 Minutes)
1oz Cascade (15 Minutes)
1oz Cascade (10 Minutes)
1oz Cascade (5 Minutes)
1oz Cascade (1 Minute)

I've moved this beer to a different style in our database- it was under the "Scottish and Irish Ale" section, and it's an IPA. Or rather, Great Lakes calls it an "Imperial red". Anyway, that's what it was moved. Thanks for the recipe!

Nice, one of my favorite beers from GLBC. Will add the to the brew backlog and report back whenever I get a chance to try it out.

Awesome - I really like that beer. Can you share the yeast and fermentation temp that you use? I'll probably try making this early next fall. Does it require much aging?

Awesome - I really like that beer. Can you share the yeast and fermentation temp that you use? I'll probably try making this early next fall. Does it require much aging?

I fermented at 70 degrees using Wyeast London Ale yeast. No aging required and no dry hopping, so after primary it's ready to be consumed.

I enjoy Nosferatu from GLBC as well. Gordon Strong featured a clone recipe for Nosferatu in the Feb or April 2016 edition of BYO as part of the style article on American Strong Ale. I am going to do Gordon's version -- I've done a small beer to build up some yeast. For what its worth, Gordon Strong's version uses 3 ounces of Cascade as dry hop. N_G

Back