Great Deal on Thermapens...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've been offering free items with them lately ...I would much rather have the reduced cost. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder how long it takes to get the free shipping code once you sign up?

Am I missing something? That's an expensive thermometer! Is there a distinct advantage to this one over the $10-$20 ones that seem to read temperature fine?

Am I missing something? That's an expensive thermometer! Is there a distinct advantage to this one over the $10-$20 ones that seem to read temperature fine?

The Thermapen is very fast and accurate, that's the diifference.

It's absolutely in the realm of "luxury" for us, but people who have them seem to pretty universally adore them. Really big in the cooking world; you hear about putting them into a steak, and being able to see the temperature gradient change as you remove it (and the probe's hitting a part of the steak that's more done).

Besides quality and accuracy, the company is also fantastic about supporting their products. I have their MTC, and it seemed like the calibration was off.

Not only did they spend time helping me check the calibration myself and offering possible solutions, they took it back and checked it and my two thermocouples in their lab. When they found it was out of calibration they sent me a new one - even opening the new package and testing it before sending.

Try that with a $10 thermometer company ;) In for a purple Thermapen!

-Joe

big advantage is they last and come with a cert of calibration. I went threw 3 or 4 of the 20 dollar ones and its a ***** when they crap out at when checking the mash. I have bought two of these in the last couple of years first one was not the thermos fault . 2 year old, thermopen and a toilet not a good compo

Hrm... guess that makes sense. Still seems a bit steep for a thermometer but I can't say I haven't indulged in some luxury items before. I just bought a Blichmann burner, afterall. =P

$135
J22.JPG

I was just going to post this deal. This is the best price I have ever seen. If you ever thought about getting one of these it's time to jump. Remember this is not only for brewing but works very well when cooking.

I just got myself one. I now have a Thermapen, a Cole-Parmer thermoprobe, my PID, a dial thermometer and a Maverick ET 73 remote thermometer for my smoker. It also works in the brewing process. I'm good for all temperature challenges in the kitchen and the home brewery.

I'm trying to pick one up right now but the site is crawling. Also the first time I got to the order page it didn't look like it was going to let me use the free shipping code any longer :(

I'm trying to pick one up right now but the site is crawling. Also the first time I got to the order page it didn't look like it was going to let me use the free shipping code any longer :(

The Free Shipping code will work until 12 noon today! (Mountain Standard Time--it's almost 9am right now so three more hours)...

Man, I have the previous generation, which I picked up when the splash proof model was coming out. $80 and free shipping is a pretty awesome deal though!

The Free Shipping code will work until 12 noon today! (Mountain Standard Time--it's almost 9am right now so three more hours)...

Free shipping code doesn't seem to be working for me :mad:

"This Mailing Code has expired or is invalid
Please correct or remove the Mailing Code and click Apply"

Is anyone else experiencing this as well?

Edit: False alarm, code worked in a different browser...

Hrm... guess that makes sense. Still seems a bit steep for a thermometer but I can't say I haven't indulged in some luxury items before. I just bought a Blichmann burner, afterall. =P

Which is totally worthless if you don't have an accurate thermometer, just sayin':)

The thermapen was the first accessory for my big green egg! They are instant read unlike some others. Also, they are carrying IR thermometers now too.

You're not going to find an accurate digital thermometer that reads in a few seconds for 10-20 bucks.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my thermapen! It's so amazing.

EDIT: Did I mention I love my thermapen? and that it's amazing?

I like the piece of mind knowing my temperature readings from my Thermapen are accurate.

I do wish there was on/off button on the handle. I find it can be annoying to take a temp with the kettle lid in one hand and a Thermapen that has timed out and shut down in the other hand. Only way to reactivate is swing the probe closed and open again. Not a one handed operation......

I like the piece of mind knowing my temperature readings from my Thermapen are accurate.

I do wish there was on/off button on the handle. I find it can be annoying to take a temp with the kettle lid in one hand and a Thermapen that has timed out and shut down in the other hand. Only way to reactivate is swing the probe closed and open again. Not a one handed operation......

rcrabb22,
Keep in mind that you can disable the auto-off feature on your Thermapen so it doesn't time out on you. If you find it timing out frequently when you are using it you should definitely do this--there is plenty of battery life (1500 hours) for it to last years without a battery change even with this feature disabled. See http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/customizing-your-thermapen/ :fro:

OMG- you expect me to COOK?

Do I look domestic to you? :drunk:

Good heavens.

As I told my husband on our very first date- "This chick don't cook".

Um...... Brewing IS cooking! Assemble ingredients, follow a process, end up with something to eat, clean up. What's the difference? :mug:

Back