Grayish substance after sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEUKRAINIAN

Reaction score
Forum members, I encountered this grayish substance on the top of my spent grains after sparging, any clue as to what it is?

image-548593788.jpg

Proteins and lipids from the grain. More of this will precipitate out during the hot break. It's good that it didn't all make it into the kettle. No worries.

CBMbrewer said:
Proteins and lipids from the grain. More of this will precipitate out during the hot break. It's good that it didn't all make it into the kettle. No worries.

Thanks! When sparging, I took the first few quarts and dumped them back into the mash tun a few times, I never did it before, but the additional filtering I guess was a good idea!

THEUKRAINIAN said:
Thanks! When sparging, I took the first few quarts and dumped them back into the mash tun a few times, I never did it before, but the additional filtering I guess was a good idea!

That's called vorlauf. Recirculating the first run runnings from your mash tun

JonGrafto said:
That's called vorlauf. Recirculating the first run runnings from your mash tun

Hmm, you learn a little every day! I never really did it before, but I'm glad I tried it. I have far less sediment in the bottom of my fermenter.

Latest posts

Back