Gravity shows stuck fermentation - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
So I was going to bottle my first beer today! . I checked the FG and it hasn't moved for a week. The current gravity reading is 1.018. My kit says I need 1.08-1.12. So my fermentation is stuck. What do I do? How do I restart it again? Should I get more yeast and add more yeast? Will that bring the gravity too low if I do that? I used two packets of yeast. When I opened the first packet, I used all the yeast, but with the second packet, I lost half of it on the kitchen counter. Could this be why it possibly stopped? Because instead of 2 packets, I basically had 1.5 packets? Also, if I add new yeast, do I need the same strain?
Thanks Everyone!

More info needed. What was recipe. 1018 is not terribly high.

You adding 1.5 packages if yeast had nothingto do with it. You would have been fine with just one package btw.

How does it taste?

I wouldn't add any more of the original yeast, if you’re really busting to do something a small amount of Champagne yeast might help as they'll deal with the alcohol a little better.

I would try stirring, adding nutrients and/or messing with the temperature first though. It is just possible all the fermentable sugars have been fermented.

I'm going to assume that your gravity is 1.018.. not 1.18

What temp are you fermenting at? Room temp? Do you have a fermometer stuck to the side of your fermenter..

What are you brewing and what was your starting gravity?

Also, what kind of ferm vessel are you using? Reason I ask that is.. if well closed/sealed, you might gently rock the carboy/pail enough to "stir things up a bit" This might get the yeast re-activated. You DON'T want to add any air.

Lotsa questions.. but, more information is really needed to be of possible help.

It tastes fine. The recipe is as follows:
1) Put crystal grains in 1.5 gallons of cold water in brew pot. Bring to boil. After boil remove from heat and let seep for 5 minutes.
2) Add 2 cans of malt extract, the burton water salts, and hops. Bring back to boil. Once boiling, keep at gentle boil for 30 minutes.
3) Cool for 15 - 30 minutes after done boiling.
4) Add cooled water to fermenter, add until volume is 5 gallons.
5) Add yeast when the temperature is between 70-80 degrees. Rehydrate yeast first in a 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes then add to wort. Stir vigorously after adding to wort.
6) Check gravity to make sure it is between 1.035 - 1.040.
7) Let ferment between 65 - 75 degrees F.
8) Let ferment for 7-10 days.
9) FG - 1.008 - 1.012.

The beer comes from this website: http://www.beer-wine.com/products/longshot-deluxe-beer-brewing-kit-complete-wingredients
It is the Sam Adams brewing kit Amber Ale from their Longshot Brew Contest.

I'm going to assume that your gravity is 1.018.. not 1.18

What temp are you fermenting at? Room temp? Do you have a fermometer stuck to the side of your fermenter..

What are you brewing and what was your starting gravity?

Also, what kind of ferm vessel are you using? Reason I ask that is.. if well closed/sealed, you might gently rock the carboy/pail enough to "stir things up a bit" This might get the yeast re-activated. You DON'T want to add any air.

Lotsa questions.. but, more information is really needed to be of possible help.

Thank you. I edited it to say 1.018. I am fermenting at room temperature in my basement. I will put my thermometer in the fermenter after sterilizing to see the temperature. I am using a plastic vessel. It is well closed. So I can shake it a little. But do not stir with a spoon? Correct? How long till the yeast would reactivate? Thank you!

So I am currently taking the temperature inside the fermenter. I have my thermometer in there, however, I shook up the fermenter a little and re added water to my airlock since it evaporated. Within maybe 30 seconds I saw bubbles coming out of my air lock. I know this is the worst way to tell if it is fermenting again, but would it happen that quickly? Thank you.

I doubt it, you might have just released some c02 by shaking it, like shaking a soda.

Oxygen in your beer at this point will taste a lot worse than a higher FG.

So does that mean I might have ruined my beer by giving it a slight shake? I put the top back on the fermenter and while it was upright, rocked it back and forth.

No probably not, I just meant you want to be careful. I think we screw up more beers trying to fix something that isn't really broken, you said it tastes good. I'd leave it at that.

It tastes fine. The recipe is as follows:
1) Put crystal grains in 1.5 gallons of cold water in brew pot. Bring to boil. After boil remove from heat and let seep for 5 minutes.
2) Add 2 cans of malt extract, the burton water salts, and hops. Bring back to boil. Once boiling, keep at gentle boil for 30 minutes.
3) Cool for 15 - 30 minutes after done boiling.
4) Add cooled water to fermenter, add until volume is 5 gallons.
5) Add yeast when the temperature is between 70-80 degrees. Rehydrate yeast first in a 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes then add to wort. Stir vigorously after adding to wort.
6) Check gravity to make sure it is between 1.035 - 1.040.
7) Let ferment between 65 - 75 degrees F.
8) Let ferment for 7-10 days.
9) FG - 1.008 - 1.012.

The beer comes from this website: http://www.beer-wine.com/products/longshot-deluxe-beer-brewing-kit-complete-wingredients
It is the Sam Adams brewing kit Amber Ale from their Longshot Brew Contest.

Unless I missed it, you still haven't said what your original gravity was, only what it was supposed to be.

Back