gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecheberline

Reaction score
I brewed a 11 gallon batch last might. I took the sample for my gravity. But I didn't get to measure it until this morning. Does this effect an accurate reading?

Was your sample taken before you pitched the yeast or after?

If your sample was pre-pitch it probably hasn't changed much assuming atmospheric yeast contamination was low.

If your sample was post-pitch, then you most likely had some sugar digestion over night and it would read lower than your actual OG.

What was your target OG? What is your sample's gravity?

Has the airlock on the fermentation vessel began bubbling?

I would consider your reading as pretty close to accurate. Even if this was post pitch your still likely in the lag phase for the yeast. Last night to this morning... I would just go with it.

Thanks for the replies, it was b4 the i pitched the yeast, the gravity was 1.032 i was gunning a 1.039 not to happy with that, but today im having a very violent fermentation process, bubbling over...... So hopefully all is well...

Back