Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frumguzzler

Reaction score
Ale kit called for a 1.50 og , weird, because i added an extra pound of dme to get a higher gravity and still got a 1.50 instead of a higher gravity. It did say to start the wort with 1.5 gallons and instead i put 2 full gallons. I hope i dont get a weaker beer. Any theories on why i still got the lower gravity?

Gravity was taken after the wort was combined with the extra 3 gallons. The wort itself was aprox. 70 . Maybe the added gallons were on the cool side but I cant imagine to cold. :off:I used spring water from PA. I think this was a mistake because when i tasted it , it had that plasticy taste. I hope it doesnt come through. Guzzler

If you use top-up water, you will end up with dense (high gravity) wort on the bottom, and diluted (low gravity) wort on the top. It takes a great deal of stirring to mix the two.
If you didn't stir enough, you real gravity will probably be higher than you measured.
Don't worry about it. When it starts fermenting, the yeast will do all the mixing for you.

-a.

Latest posts

Back