Gravity feeding a plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyo_brews

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a plate chiller. The particular one I am looking at is set up for a garden hose to feed the cooling water. Unfortunately I live in Wyoming and running the hose isn't really an option during the winter. I was wondering if anyone has tried a gravity feed system for the cooling water.

You can get a hose adapter for most kitchen sinks if that might work for you.

I use a hose fitting to 3/4 inch npt adapter fitting then have a 5/8 inch hose barb that is 3/4 npt that fits into this. I also use a hose barb that fits on my sink that is also 5/8 inch. I have the same problem in Colorado that a hose is not an option in the winter. This slows me to use the kitchen sink as my water source in the winter. I found all of this in brass at homedepot.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

You want the cooling water to be moving as fast as possible. You could theoretically gravity feed the hot wort; it would take a long time (giving you issues like DMS and hop utilization to deal with), but the beer would come out cool. Slow water, though, means the wort won't get sufficiently chilled. I would suggest a sink aerator to GHT adaptor like TNGabe suggested.

I would get a pump and take advantage of all that free cooling outside. What I did (before moving inside with my winter brewing) was fill a 30 gallon garbage can with snow (and a bit of water) and recirculate using a pump. About half through I added a few shovels full of snow after most of it melted.

Back