Gravity Fed Glycol Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? My craigslist ferm fridge died. I generally plan to buy a chest freezer on sale, and meantime use ambient basement temps, a cooler bag and ice. But I wonder if I can use less power in a mini fridge to cool glycol in a coil, keeping the fermenter in a separate cooler, letting the chilled glycol flow down into a coil in the cooler, and rise back as it warms. I realize that the flow would not be very fast, but I don't think it needs to be. The sensor would probably need to be in the fridge, but I could test it either way.
I have to believe one of you home engineers has tested this.

If both coils are at the same level you will get some convection flow but not very much. Considering that a temperature gradient is required to get convection flow it is not an effective method when close temperature control is required.

Obviously they would not be at the same level. With a small fridge it would be easy to put it on a counter with the cooler bag below it. The feed line would go from the bottom of the reservoir, the return line to the top. Convection will cause a flow. The question is will that flow be sufficient, and keep temperature in the proper range. I don't require that it remain within one degree, or two. Just within the preferred range for the yeast, say 65-70 for US-05. The line size will matter, I suspect that bigger is better. I have some 1/2 coil around, probably some auto heater hose. If I try it I'll post results.

Back