Gravity check during active fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetwort-Hopkins

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, I've got an RIS fermenting at the moment. OG was 1.094. I got the recipe and procedure directly from a known brewery. In their notes, it says "pitch yeast at 19C (66.2F) to reach 8 Plato (1.032SG), then raise temp to 23C (73.5F) to reach 4.7 Plato (1.019FG)."

My question is this: Should I check the gravity during steady activity? I'm four days into fermentation and the carboy has a storm of activity going on inside. I'm still set at 19C, so I wonder if I should wait for the visible activity to slow down a bit before ramping the temp up to 23C. I'd hate to disturb the wonderful Monk Yeast while they're partying as much as they are at the moment. But, I would like to adhere to the brewery's fermentation process...

Sanitize well and there's really no harm in sticking sutff into an active fermenter. It'll increase the odds, sure, but if you sanitize well those odds will be minimal.

That said, I'm lazy and haven't really had any run-ins with slowed/stuck fermentations (did have to repitch on one brett beer) so I'd wait until it looks to be slowing down // maybe a week before turning the temps up.

I would certainly try to simulate 'lab-like' conditions if I were to open her up now!
And that is the funny thing, I'm not necessarily worried about the beer fermenting by any means because it is definitely rocking. I just wonder if it's worth trying to copy their procedure to such an extent.

You are try for about 80% attenuation on a big beer, seem like it would not hurt to bump the temp to help the yeast finish.

If it is a higher flocculating yeast you might want to check sooner than later so you can drive the yeast to continue working before they fall out.

Back