Gravity approximation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyWash1

Reaction score
Today I made a Stout roughly following this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27895

This is what my actual malt was:

9lbs Light Extract (liquid)
1lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Chocolate malt
.5 lb Black

The grains were steeped at approx. 180* for 20min. I took the OG while the wort was still 100* and got 1061. With temp correction, this works to 1067 apparently. Does this sound right? I was hoping for a higher OG with all the malt.

I put all your ingredients into Beer Smith and it gave me an estimated OG of 1.064.

I've always taken my gravity readings after the wort has cooled to 70-75*, just before pitching yeast. I read somewhere that using a hydrometer at high temps doesn't always yield accurate measurements... is there any truth to this statement??

grasshopper1917 said:
How come out used light malt extract for stout?
Because the roasted barley, chocolate, and black patent are going to provide all the colour he needs. I use extra light for everything, stouts included.

TomC723 said:
I put all your ingredients into Beer Smith and it gave me an estimated OG of 1.064.

I've always taken my gravity readings after the wort has cooled to 70-75*, just before pitching yeast. I read somewhere that using a hydrometer at high temps doesn't always yield accurate measurements... is there any truth to this statement??
Yes, there is. A warmer liquid will be less dense, so the most accurate gravity reading is done at 60*.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm hoping for at least 7% alcohol.

Well, good news. I woke up this morning to fermentation already starting. That's a record for me--probably 8-9 hours after putting in the primary I have active fermentation! Hopefully this beer is big!

Latest posts

Back