Grapefruit Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
Brewed my second batch of beer yesterday. It's a porter with 1/2 oz of cascade at 30 minutes. I put in the zest of 2 grapefruits with 5 minutes left, no aroma hops. I'm thinking about racking after a 10-14 days (assuming it's done) and adding a little more cascade as well as the zest of another couple of grapefruits. I was planning on boiling the zest in a little vodka and cooling it before adding it to the secondary. Any thoughts? I've read a lot of threads about adding orange and figured this might be a comparable plan.

I imagine that GF zest will add alot of bitterness. Should blend well with your light hops schedule though.

I'm excited to hear about the results.

I ended up adding the zest of 2 grapefruits into the boiling water for my priming sugar and strained the zest out before adding to the bottling bucket. Three weeks later the beer tastes good. It doesn't have the grapefruit juice flavor but adds some lightness that is reminiscent of grapefruit; one person suggested cherry.

Back