Grapefruit IPA recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonarek

Reaction score
Hello all, long time reader first time poster.

Brewing my fifth batch, want to do a grapefruit IPA but hopefully with just hops (not adding flavoring, zest, juice, etc. to the beer).

Also would like this to be more of a session IPA, for reference one of my favorite beers is Founder's All Day IPA.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated, thank you!!

MB

Per BeerSmith:
5.5% abv
51 ibu
1.055 OG

5 lbs Light Dry Extract
5.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

0.70 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.70 oz Centennial [7.38 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.70 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

Safale American #US-05 packet

Primary for two weeks
Dry hop with Amarillo for 5 days

Looks like it will be a tasty beer with a nice American citrus flavor and aroma. I don't know that it screams grapefruit to me in particular, but I'm sure you'll be happy with the beer! FWIW the big grapefruity hops for me are Comet, Cascade, maybe Columbus, Chinook. Amarillo comes off a bit more orange-y to me.

I'm doing a great lakes chillwave sort of clone with a lower abv. It has nugget battering hops then cascade and mosaic. I tasted it last night after transferring it and it has some grapefruit. My plan is to try hop in the keg in about 5 or 6 days with cascade and if the mosiac comes in then I'll put that in there as well.

I had been searching for a Founders All Day IPA clone. I ran across one that got a lot of great reviews. It may have been in HBT's recipe section.... Can't remember.... but the hops they were using to get that grapefruit bite were as follows:

Crystal and Simcoe 60 min Boil
Simcoe, Amarillo & Crystal 20 min Aroma
Amarillo & Crystal 5 min addition
Amarillo & Simcoe Dry Hop 7 days

IBU's = 44 (Rager)

I did a grapefruit "bomb" IPA with centennial FWH, cascade at 30 min, cascade & apollo at 10 min, cascade/apollo hop stand, cascade/apollo dry hop. Mega grapefruit. The apollo is huge in grapefruit when used late and with hop stand and dry hop.

Latest posts

Back