Graniteware Brew Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
Bought a "cheap" 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot to brew in.

I have a glass top stove and the design of bottom of the pot is such that only about a 1 inch ring actually makes contact with the heating surface.

As a result, it takes me forever to get to a boil on my electric stove.

The wife came home the other day with a large pot with a flat bottom that she wants to use for canning.

It is made of something called Graniteware.

Anyone have any experience using this type of material to brew in?

Granitewear is an enamel-coated pot. It should work fine for brewing.

As for the cheap stock-pot....look into a turkey fryer setup for brewing. The domed bottom should not be a problem.

I use a 21 qt granitware canning pot for my brew pot. I need to upgrade but for now it gets the job done.

Since your wife is going to use it for canning, you're going to have to inspect the pot before brewing. The canning racks can damage the enamel surface, while not a big deal for canning, it can allow your wort to contact the metal beneath the enamel. This can impart some not too pleasant metallic flavors. The 20 qt granitware was my first brew pot, and it worked fine, but it was for brewing only. I have another that gets used for canning, and the bottom of the pot is pretty beaten up.

I've got a 12 quart one I've used 3 times. Don't let them get chipped on the inside and they're as good as anything else. Nice and cheap to boot.

Back