Grains in Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean where to buy online I recently did a bit of a shop around and I found Skinaney to be the best for price. After buying from them I recommend them for price, quality and service.

I decided to buy roughly half a sack (ie 12kg, 26lbs, 2x 23L/6 gal batches) to try them out. I'm drinking the beer I made from it as I type and it's great (mmm, Canadian malt). If I ordered from them again and didn't have a mill I would ask for a finer crush though. I only got 64% efficiency on my first batch but 72% after I recrushed with my new mill.

They were a little slow answering my emails (a day or two for replies) but when they replied they answered all my questions and were very friendly and easy to deal with.

With paddockwood gone I don't buy online anymore. I buy from a semi-local BOP (brew on premises) location. They have excellent selection and really fresh, rotating stock at good prices.

Check any local breweries/brewpubs; they're usually friendly about selling off a bag of grain....also see if they'll give you some of their yeast to use!

I just buy it at my LHBS. As for getting yeast from breweries, I asked the owner of Propeller breweries, and he said it was very rare for breweries to share their yeast. He was very happy to give us advice though. Nice man.

well here in Saskatchewan all we have are brew store, where you can buy kits of all sorts but as for grains not any that I have found and I even called other citys, I will check with the brew pubs and see what they tell me. would be great to see some BOP store here but guess thats a provincial Gov thing.

Judd said:
I just buy it at my LHBS. As for getting yeast from breweries, I asked the owner of Propeller breweries, and he said it was very rare for breweries to share their yeast. He was very happy to give us advice though. Nice man.

Judy, that was me. You're confusing you and me again. (If you forget: I'm the better-looking one.)

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. It'll probably make sense at some point for us to start buying in bulk.

What's gone about Paddockwood? It still looks like it exists.

Paddockwood is getting out of the online retail market. They announced a while ago that the market just wouldn't support them and they were just going to sell off current inventory. The message has been replaced with hops info on the homepage but if you actually look at what they have available now, it's next to nothing (especially compared to what they used to have).

Edit: There's a couple threads on it here and here.

Saskman -- can't remember where you are in SK, but if you are anywhere near Biggar, SK you should inquire about a bulk purchase from Prairie Malting. I know that the two malting companies here in Alberta sell 25 kg sacks of grain to the public for dirt cheap. I picked up a sack of 2-row for $18.50 and a sack of English Marris Otter for $32. You can't beat buying direct.

For specialty grains, I suggest either Skinaney Brewing in Ottawa or Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver. Good stock, good prices. But you are going to need a PayPal account....

Cheers! :mug:

saskman said:
well here in Saskatchewan all we have are brew store, where you can buy kits of all sorts but as for grains not any that I have found and I even called other citys, I will check with the brew pubs and see what they tell me. would be great to see some BOP store here but guess thats a provincial Gov thing.

Try joining and asking here http://www.alesclub.com/

paddockwood still has quite a bit of grain etc. Just ordered some adjuncts and specialty grains last night. They still have alot of yeast too

Saskman : Paddockwood got out of the retail home brew market in order to become a Micro Brewery. So they are still around. If you are close to Saskatoon I'm sure you could phone them up and drop by and they would sell you a sack or two of base malts no problem. Or try Brewster's in Regina or Saskatoon the brewmaster for the one here is supposed to be very helpful.

FlyGuy: Where are the malters here in Alberta? I think I've heard of Canada (or Canadian) Malt which is in Calgary. Is there any other up north. We get a pretty fair shake from the SouthSide Brew Crew. Still if I could find an other supplier that would be good. I've been waiting over six weeks for a sack of Pilsner & Maris Otter. This is the first time I've had nothing in a Primary or Secondary since I started this grand experiment back in the spring.

Saskman: There was somthing else I wanted to say ..... what was it again? Oh ya, GO RIDERS GO:tank:

Rudeboy

Rudeboy said:
FlyGuy: Where are the malters here in Alberta? I think I've heard of Canada (or Canadian) Malt which is in Calgary. Is there any other up north. We get a pretty fair shake from the SouthSide Brew Crew. Still if I could find an other supplier that would be good. I've been waiting over six weeks for a sack of Pilsner & Maris Otter. This is the first time I've had nothing in a Primary or Secondary since I started this grand experiment back in the spring.
Yep, Canada Malting (in Calgary) or Rahr Malting (near Red Deer). Both are on the interweb, and sell whole sacks of grains and malts to the public. Selection depends on what they have on hand.

Back