Grains ( extract) to glass in 9 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ej1332

Reaction score
Hi all looking for a quick brew recipe to make in 9 days. I will force carbing so conditioning won't be a problem. I would like something light and hoppy. Was thinking of making an IPA or a wheat. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That is really fast, I don't think it can be done and have a drinkable product. It might be fun to try but, you might have better luck buying a commercial beer if you need beer that fast.

I have plenty of bottles beer but I saw a cool build for cooler with taps that holds 2 3 gallon conrys that's portable and I'm going camping for a week. So I thought if I could bang it out it would kick up the cool factor a notch or two.

you are definitely going to want to try a wheat then. its pushing it and I don't think it'll work but that's your best shot. An IPA will need too much time for the hops

If you keep the gravity low - 1030 or so, use extract, irish moss, a highly flocculating yeast and maybe finings or filtering too you might get something if you're not too fussy about cloudiness. I'll often have a half pint of the brew when transferring from primary and it can taste ok, it just looks like soup.

Here's a light ale recipe I did way back in the days before moving to grain you could hold back 250g of the extract to get it to 1030.

For 12l - OG 1040
1.5kg pale malt syrup
120g amber malt - steep at 90C for 30 mins and add liquid to boil
Irish Moss.

Hops
Challenger 20g 90 min
Kent Goldings 20g 90min
Hallertau 10g 10min

No note on the yeast so it was probably just generic 'english ale yeast'

According to my notes it hit Fg 1020 in 5 days and tasted fine.

These days I'd put a shedload of hops in at the end of the boil too.

Plenty of cheap breweries ferment fast, filter and force carbonate young beer, they won't win any awards but it's drinkable enough that they stay in business so it might be worth a go.

You can totally do an IPA in 9 days. Pitch 2 packs US05 into wort around 1.060, it'll ferment out in about 5 days, then cold crash. Dry hop in keg. Go 100% Golden Light DME. Throw 1 oz dry hops into each keg. I don't get these sentiments that beer takes weeks and weeks. If you control your ferm temp, pitch adequate yeast and treat it well, you can make good (even great) beer in a short amount of time.

I love challenges like this. My buddy just brewed 15 gallons for a party and had it in the keg in eight days. you could potentially have it cabed in 1 day if you kept it cold and very high pressure. I would recommend a SMaSH in my experience, beers with lots of different malts and grains take a little while to come together and I thoink 9 days is too soon. You could do this with an IPA, just keep the gravity low and pitch a lot of good yeast. le us know how it turns out

I have plenty of bottles beer but I saw a cool build for cooler with taps that holds 2 3 gallon conrys that's portable and I'm going camping for a week. So I thought if I could bang it out it would kick up the cool factor a notch or two.

Well, if it is not for an event where you are sharing with other people you might as well give it a try. The worst that could happen is you have a keg of green beer that is going to need another week or so of conditioning to be drinkable.

WLP007 dry english ale ferments like a monster then flocs out quickly. That would be my go-to for something like this. May want to do a double dose sine there won't be time for a starter. S-05 that was mentioned is a great choice, too.

As others have suggested, an IPA or a Wheat are both very good options.

Me, I'd get a jug of Maris Otter extract, some Goldings, and a pack (or two) of Notty and make a very basic English-style bitter- get your OG in the low 1030s and your IBUs right around 25. Session-strength English ales traditionally have a short turn-around time anyway.

What I have in my keg right now was done in 10 days. I too wanted to see if a quick, good tasting beer could be made in 10 days or less. I did a 5 gallon batch, force carbed it after a week in the fermenter, and everyone has liked it. I was going of a lawn mower beer, and except for it being a little cloudy, I think it turned out ok.
6 lbs Pilsen LME
1 oz Saaz hops at 45 minutes
1 oz Cascade hops at 5 minutes
Whirlfloc at 5 minutes.
White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast

I am thinking of trying something similar next time, and switch up hops.

Hefe! 3068 ferments like gang busters and no need to cold crash or make it look clear. 5 day primary, 4 day carb at high presure....done and done!
Not hoppy but quick and chicks dig it.

I went with a hefe. Except I used us-04 and does the wert on top of fresh (pasteurized) cherries. And I also banged out a blonde and used us-05. Both took off like gang busters and have stopped. Final gravity is almost there. Another day or 2 and I should be good.

Latest posts

Back