Grainfather / Robobrew question (not asking which is better)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking into both, just started all grain and found out that I am bad at controlling temperature. Like really bad. I know the more I do it the better I’ll get...

Anyhow - both seems pretty comparable in features and quality, as well as process.

Questions; and I’m just trying to wrap my mind around some of the process before I spend the money

When I am doing the mash in one of these, is it with the full volume or just the mash volume? I’m thinking mash volume, but none of the myriad sites I’ve been to get into that detail

Regardless of the answer above, sparging seems difficult - I assume the pumps are used to vorlauf? Then it looks like I would need to raise the grain can, lock it elevated, and pour sparge water over the top?

When I’m mashing, would I be recirculating the wort, or only after the mash?

The rest seems pretty simple, just boil and add hops (in a bag), then cool / ferment.

Oh - ok I do have a comparative question, but not on the units, just the coolers. Immersion or counterflow or plate? One comes with immersion, one with counterflow, and I am kinda intrigued by the size of the plate coolers.

Thanks

Dave

I just ordered a grainfather with a 20% off coupon from NB. I was going to wait a few months but when I saw the coupon would work I jumped on it. I could speculate on these but as I have never used them, I don't think I would be the best person to answer that.

As for your comparison question, I do currently have an immersion cooler and it is...ok. I have seen counterflow chillers in action and they seem much better for my intentions.
This guy on YouTube goes into a lot of detail about these.

Most recipes state the mash volume. If it doesn't, the mash volume is roughly based on the size of your grain bill. It's something like 1.25-1.5 *quarts* per pound of grain. I emphasize quarts because on my first batch I didn't convert to gallons...[emoji51]Then you sparge with the remaining water volume.

I have the same issue with sparging as it relates to the Robobrew. A traditional 3 kettle setup will have a sparging arm on the kettle. What I've done is lift up the grain chimney and pour, in two batches, the remaining water - leaving in place the top screen. But I've had some issues with my original gravity, so I'm still trying to figure out the sparging part.

I have used the pump to circulate the mash.

This video was helpful. Except he skips the sparging step!

Regarding coolling....Get bags of ice, or have access to cold running water. The first time I did it, I just put the chiller in a bucket of water and ran the rump. It took over an hour to cool down!

Back