Grainfather pump replacement.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
After only a couple of dozen brews on my Grainfather the pump has given up the ghost. I'm looking to upgrade to a better pump,I have used a Chugger before amd could easily hook that up in place of the stock pump but I would like an aftermarket pump that will fit into the Grainfather housing as I like the clean look. Ant recommendations or suggestions? Thanks.

by given up the ghost you mean the motor doesnt spin? have you ever opened it up to clean inside? perhaps you just have some grain stuck in the impeller? The current grainfather pump appears to be an iwaki MD series and looks to use the same replacement head parts as the mkII clones which has the larger motor... it also looks to be the same as the anvil pump short of the orange paint job on the motor. and white head
here is the replacement pump..
https://www.homebrewing.org/Replace...QRVLdgimVSQSaoHD0QqgR_it4jci9RWRoCQYcQAvD_BwE
heres the iwaki branded version... (with white head like the anvil)
https://www.apumpstore.com/iwaki-iwaki-centrifugal-pump-p-224.html

now heres the anvil
https://www.homebrewing.org/Anvil-B...jDawgNSdIjRtWJ_bU2dZA4MLMS3P94zxoCv4YQAvD_BwE

the anvil has similiar specs as the iwaki MD 10
https://www.ebay.com/itm/352682963255

notice the motor on the pump has the extra holes to accept the mkII style head? I think its more or less just a shell game of using different color parts to make the pumps appear different and sell them at higher price points with the different branding and "use" but only someone with all the pumps would be able to tell for sure.

I dont know if I would necessarily call the chugger a "better" pump but they are a chinese knockoff clone of the american march pumps.

we use these exact same universal industrial pumps as the grainfather uses as well as the larger mkII version in our printing plate processors at work and they last a long time when used that way which makes me wonder if yours is just stuck.

It is odd that when it comes to the march and chuggers its supposed to be common practice to take them apart and clean them but on these all in one setups its as if they are designed not to be cleaned?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.Yes,I do mean that the pump has stopped working completely.No power is getting to it,it makes no noise at all. I have stripped the pump,thinking that it was clogged,it was not,actually,it was surprisingly clean. Looked new inside. I appreciate the pump info and links,I think I will go in that direction.Thanks again!Cheers!!

Thank you for the reply.Yes,I do mean that the pump has stopped working completely.No power is getting to it,it makes no noise at all. I have stripped the pump,thinking that it was clogged,it was not,actually,it was surprisingly clean. Looked new inside. I appreciate the pump info and links,I think I will go in that direction.Thanks again!Cheers!!
Well, I am also tired of the pump quitting on me at the worst possible times. Just bought a riptide pump and some fittings and I’m going to remove the Grainfather pump and use the riptide. Making some short hoses with male QDs on each end. Putting female QDs on the pump in/out and short hoses on the outlet pipe and the end of the recirculation pipe with female QDs. Going to attach all the silicone hoses to pipes and fittings with Oetiker
After only a couple of dozen brews on my Grainfather the pump has given up the ghost. I'm looking to upgrade to a better pump,I have used a Chugger before amd could easily hook that up in place of the stock pump but I would like an aftermarket pump that will fit into the Grainfather housing as I like the clean look. Ant recommendations or suggestions? Thanks.
Just got all the parts. Getting ready to remove GF pump to get it out of the way, and connect a riptide pump, using QDs and silicone hose. Short hoses attached to GF outlet and recirculation pipe with oetiker clamps and female QDs on the ends. Female QDs on the pump in and out. And making a couple of 3’ hoses with male QDs on both ends.

I just replaced mine with the Anvil version. It’s the same pump with different mounting. There are three main things to do to make it work.

1- Reconnect the old power cord to the new pump.
2- Rotate the head to fit the Grainfather.
3- Drill mounting holes in the new pump. This takes titanium bits to get through the steel.

Scratch that plan I listed above. The mount is different on the Anvil, so you have to bend it or replace it. It's getting to the point that it's not worth the $100 saved with the Anvil.

Well, I am also tired of the pump quitting on me at the worst possible times. Just bought a riptide pump and some fittings and I’m going to remove the Grainfather pump and use the riptide. Making some short hoses with male QDs on each end. Putting female QDs on the pump in/out and short hoses on the outlet pipe and the end of the recirculation pipe with female QDs. Going to attach all the silicone hoses to pipes and fittings with Oetiker

Just got all the parts. Getting ready to remove GF pump to get it out of the way, and connect a riptide pump, using QDs and silicone hose. Short hoses attached to GF outlet and recirculation pipe with oetiker clamps and female QDs on the ends. Female QDs on the pump in and out. And making a couple of 3’ hoses with male QDs on both ends.
Just curious if you were able to make this work? Also any pics would be appreciated. Im looking at retrofitting mine as well.

Thanks!

Scratch that plan I listed above. The mount is different on the Anvil, so you have to bend it or replace it. It's getting to the point that it's not worth the $100 saved with the Anvil.

Bring out your dead!

Sorry for resurrecting this Zombie, I am curious if you ever got that Anvil pump installed? Was the anvil bracket too large or not enough space to clear the plastic? I am rebuilding a couple G30's and have a need for one pump. Cutting and bending the bracket is no trouble for me, I also have two Original pumps that I might be able to repurpose the housing.

I realize the details may be fuzzy after almost 2 years, just taking a shot.

Bring out your dead!

Sorry for resurrecting this Zombie, I am curious if you ever got that Anvil pump installed? Was the anvil bracket too large or not enough space to clear the plastic? I am rebuilding a couple G30's and have a need for one pump. Cutting and bending the bracket is no trouble for me, I also have two Original pumps that I might be able to repurpose the housing.

I realize the details may be fuzzy after almost 2 years, just taking a shot.
No, I gave up and ordered the Grainfather version. I spent too much time trying to save a few dollars on the Anvil version.

Back