Grainfather glycol chiller issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2sat2576

Reaction score
Has anyone has fluctuation issues with the Grainfather glycol chiller temperature spiking and then cooling back to desired temperature? Grainfather has explained that this is due to inversion And setting the temperature lower than 6 C. I explained to them that my temperature is set above this and that the issue has only recently started occurring. I just wanted to know from others experiences, if i should be concerned or if this is normal behavior. The temperature on one of my fermenters is set to 45 F and spikes to 61. It seems every 2nd or third day It will do this. This occurs in a matter of hours. The ambient temp is in the mid 70’s, my hoses are not kinked. Thanks for any suggestions or insight.

I have a diy chiller but I'll take a stab . What's the temp of your glycol reservoir? What is your reservoir temp set to?

If your glycol solution is staying at the desired temp then it sounds like something is up with a pump delay or something. If your beer is set to 45f and every few days it gets into the 60's then it's not getting the glycol solution for a duration of time.

Could your temp gauge be faulty ? When the fv says it's in the 60's take a small sample to check with a thermoter and see if it is actually that warm .

To answer your question though, it's not normal for your fv to spike in temp every few days.

Back