Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pro stopped circulating during cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffA.

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues Grainfather Conical Fermenter Pro connected to their glycol chiller during cold crash? I have flow going to the cold inlet but it is not returning to the chiller from the warm side. It went down to 7C but now is starting to rise. Any fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Hi JeffA
I just used the GF conical pro for the first time and I'm having the same issue. The coldest I could reach was 5C then it started ramping up. Right now it's sitting at 10C and it won't cool down.
After doing some research it seems like it is a fermenter design problem due to the phisical properties of water.
The maximum water density is at 4C, below that it starts to drop. So what happened is that the top beer got too cold with a lower density than the rest, therefore stopping the convection effect.
This is really disappointing because the equipment isn't cheap. I expected more.

Latest posts

Back