Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrombley

Reaction score
I have alot of extra gain from different batches I've brewed. How long can grain be stored in the Frig. and still be usable? Thanks

Fred

I think the right answer for that is "it depends". If they are sealed airtight and uncrushed, they will last a long, long time. Over a year, at least. If they are poorly sealed, but still uncrushed, they will last several months. If they are crushed, but sealed well, they may last 6-8 weeks or so.

If in doubt, take a taste. If they taste great, use them. If they taste stale, rancid or otherwise "off", then pitch them out.

If I'm not going to use my crushed grains immediately, I will put them in ziplock bags and squeeze all the air I can out of them. Then I put the bags in something opaque and pop that into the fridge. I've had crushed grains for a few weeks that didn't have any staleness to them at all when I finally was able to brew with them.

Thanks for the replys. The grain was curshed, but I did seal them in airtight bags. I guess I should use them as soon as possible. The problem is, I only need 1.5 oz from a 1 lb bag. Kind of a waste. I'll try to find recipes that call for this grain. By the way, it's a chocolate grain. Thanks again for the replys.

Fred

Thanks for the replys. The grain was curshed, but I did seal them in airtight bags. I guess I should use them as soon as possible. The problem is, I only need 1.5 oz from a 1 lb bag. Kind of a waste. I'll try to find recipes that call for this grain. By the way, it's a chocolate grain. Thanks again for the replys.

Fred

Might be time for a stout. You can find recipes that will use most or all of that chocolate.

Latest posts

Back