Grain to water ratio in biab/mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,
Just wondering if anyone can give some advice on grain to water volume mash ratio for a BIAB. Is this different for an all grain mash?

Hi fellow brewers,
Just wondering if anyone can give some advice on grain to water volume mash ratio for a BIAB. Is this different for an all grain mash?

Heya Mike.. are you using one pot or two?

Anywhere between 1 and 1.5 qts is fine. I think most people do around 1.25

I believe in BIAB you mash in the entire boil volume....that's one of it's advantages.

Yeah, so if you are using one pot, its easy because you just take your batch size (normally 5.5) and add boil off which puts you at 6.5, then account for the absorption of the grain which is .1 per lb.

So a typical scenario for 13 lbs would be 6.5 + (.1 x 13lbs) = 1.3 which is 7.8 gallons.

Due to my available equipment and current funds im currently brewing partial extract BIABs but using majority grain. I mashed and boiled in a 15 litre pot on the stove and topped up with water in the primary. Last time I used 3kg of grain to 1kg of dry extract and got an 80% efficiency according to beer smith. I just wondered what the maximum grain bill i could use in this method? Preferably in metric units!

Your maximum grain bill is going to be predicated on how much you can fit into your pot. In your size pot, I'm guessing you won't be able to get more than another kilo in there.

It looks like 3.4kg puts you right at your pots maximum using 1.1 or 1.2 liters per kg.

You'll have to do the conversions, but here is a simple calculator that tells you how much your pot can mash.

http://rackers.org/calcs.shtml/

Back