Grain to glass in 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
I'm going upstate to my folks' mountain cabin next month, and was thinking of bringing up a keg of homebrew. I have a stout and a porter that would be ready, but I really want something a little lighter and hoppier. A pale ale would be great, but even a hoppy wheat would work.

Anyone have a good recipe that can be ready to go in 4 weeks? My own recipes usually need more time than that.

I was looking at Biermuncher's Nierra Sevada recipe, but I'm not sure if it needs more time.

since you can force carb you're pretty much golden. Have you seen BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops. I'd bet it'd be good to go assuming everyone wants something light and crispy. I actually just brewed this and am excited to taste it.

since you can force carb you're pretty much golden. Have you seen BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops. I'd bet it'd be good to go assuming everyone wants something light and crispy. I actually just brewed this and am excited to taste it.

Yeah force carbing is the way to go, especially if you're impatient like me. :)

Cream of 3 Crops would probably work, but like I said in the first post, we want something with some hoppiness to it. From my own experiences I know an IPA is impossible, so I was thinking more along the lines of a good American Pale Ale.

Being able to force carb helps a lot. I was in a similar situation a couple months ago and did this:

Galactic Pale Ale
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.00 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Actual Efficiency: 78.1 %

Taste Notes: Lots of tropical fruit, similar to Citra hops. Good malt/bitterness balance. Easy drinking.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (15.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.75 oz Galaxy [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.75 oz Galaxy [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Galaxy [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Galaxy [12.40%] (0 min) Hops -
1.50 oz Galaxy [12.40%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 SRM
Bitterness: 41.8 IBU
Mash 154.0 F 60 min
Fermented at 65F for 7 days, then to secondary/dryhop.
Force carbed the keg 14 days from brewday.

This was 18 days from grain to the time the keg was drained. Would it have been better with a couple more weeks or age? Most likely. But it was still a good, quick turnaround beer. I actually have a similar one using some Falconer's 7Cs hops fermenting away right now, it smells really good.

Also, if you want something a bit hoppier, i have done this in under a month with great results: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/index9.html It is really good.

I make an Amberweizen regularly that's good to go in 5-6 weeks, but I prime in the keg. Force carb and definitely be able to grain to glass in 4 as it's done in the fermentor in 3 weeks.

5 lbs 2 row, 5 lbs wheat, 12 oz of crystal 40 and American Wheat yeast, I use WLP 320 or even Danstar Munich since it's not real funky. I hop it to around 27 IBU's, but you could go higher to your tastes. Very easy drinking wheat with a slight amber color and very light caramel flavor.

A relatively recent Zymurgy had tips and a handful of recipes that all worked well under tight time constraints (under a week in some cases!). I'll see if I can find the issue, there was an IPA in the article too.

Back