Grain to ABV calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
Is there a calculator out there that can tell me this... I have a 55lb sack of pale 2-row. If I want to make an 8% IPA, what would my batch size be?

Is there a calculator out there that can tell me this... I have a 55lb sack of pale 2-row. If I want to make an 8% IPA, what would my batch size be?

I use a program called BeerSmith. You'll input your proposed grain bill and other variables such as yeast (yeast attenuation varies per strain) and BS helps determine ABV, etc.

You'll also want to know your efficiency. You'll probably end up using something like 15 to 17 lbs of 2-row for a 5 gallon batch depending on other fermentables.

If you're using the entire 55 pounds of grain, then it would probably be about 18-19 gallons to get 8%. However, your question is a little bit vague, so not exactly sure what you were hoping for.

Although it will cost you $28, I think BeerSmith is well worth it for these calculations.

If you're using the entire 55 pounds of grain, then it would probably be about 18-19 gallons to get 8%. However, your question is a little bit vague, so not exactly sure what you were hoping for.

Although it will cost you $28, I think BeerSmith is well worth it for these calculations.

Yes, I ran that same number yesterday and determined the OP would have the same 18-19 G yield you quoted. I think we are assuming 72% efficiency.

If he adds a pound of this malt or a pound of that malt per batch for color, flavor, texture and such, I'd say he can easily get 4 batches of 5.5G beers from the sack of base malts.

Thanks everybody. I did take advice here and downloaded BeerSmith II on my smartphone

Latest posts

Back