Grain Storage... The Refrig or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky5752

Reaction score
Hello all.... I currently have about 40 lb of 2row and a ton of other specialty malts in snap top tubs in a cooler at the butcher shop I own. My main question is will it hurt to have that grain in the cooler for a long time? I have had it in the tub inside a bag with the lid snapped on for about 6 months now and have made 2 batches from it and the beer turned out great. Will it hurt to keep it in there for the long haul and would you suggest I keep doing so with my future grain? I figured I have the space, might as well use it and I figured it would keep it from going stale being as it is much cooler. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

--Brian

Yes that should work very well IMO. Cool and dry is what you want, and I think there is also less humidity in a cooler, so my guess is it will last a very long time, say year or even more, as always, YMMV

Back