grain storage in humid weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on grain storage in this lovely humid ohio weather? Is there any thing I can do to protect my grain? Right now it is in homer buckets from Home Depot, will that be enough to combat the swamp air?

I have a vacuum sealer and prep my base grains in 4lb packages, with a few 1lb bags to make pulling for a batch a breeze...

Where are the buckets being stored?

Does anyone have any info on grain storage in this lovely humid ohio weather? Is there any thing I can do to protect my grain? Right now it is in homer buckets from Home Depot, will that be enough to combat the swamp air?
Take some of your nylon bags and fill them with a couple of cups of rice and pinto beans. Add these to your grain tubs......they'll soak up the moisture first and keep your grains nice and dry. You could also by dessicant packs.

If you want to get real high speed, you could buy an electric gun dehumidifier and stick it in your grain bin.

Thanks ewbish. My grandfather puts rice in his salt so it doesn't clump in the humidity, same concept I believe. The buckets are in a first floor closet if that helps chumprock.

If you've got a good seal on the bucket lid, you should be OK. I use a plastic bag as a bucket liner and it seems to work well. I've always equated grain storage to storing crackers or breakfast cereal. Keep in a cool, dry space in a sealed container and they should last a few months.

If you're talking long term storage ( six months, or more ), then go with chumprock's idea and use a vacuum seal.

Back