Grain mill seizing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robg2251

Reaction score
I've been having off and on issues with my grain mill (an older model Malt Mill). It would lock up periodically, as I used my cordless drill to crush the grains. I assumed it was just grains caught in it somehow, and would empty the grains, shake the thing out and it would work fine.

Last weekend I was milling grains, had them just about done and in a split second, the thing seized up, splitting the wooden base in two and flipping the whole mill and hopper over spilling grains all over the garage. Doh!

The base can be rebuilt (the wood looked pretty cheap anyhow), but the mill is really having issues now, it's seizing up and making grinding noises almost like the two rollers are rubbing together (they are not by watching them as I hand crank it).

I suppose my question is - has anyone had this issue, and is it fixable? A fellow homebrewer suggested maybe it's the bearings... Is it possible to get to them and replace them?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Mine has also done the same thing a couple times. I reverse the drill for a second or two, and it has worked fine for the next 2 - 3 years. I do have a clutch on the drill, and I set that so that if it does catch, the clutch slips and prevents any damage to the mill.

-a.

Do those have actual bearings, or bronze bushings... Mine has bushings...

Have you ever oiled the bushings/bearings? Ever cleaned it out good?

Then, running it on a drill puts quite a bit more wear on things than hand cranking.... especially if a little grit or grain gets hung in the bearings...

Any chance you are getting grain in the bearings (If it has bearings)... that would lock it up in a hurry...

Turn the rollers by hand (Not the crank -- turn the actual rollers with your fingers) -- do you feel anything grabbing? Sticking? clunking? Shifting around? Loose? Tight?

Thanks

Back